Output not appearing even when compiled successfully RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio Academic Professional 2010 on my HP Pavilion g6 laptop, which runs on Windows 7 64-bit. Whenever I compile a code in C++ (Win32), no matter how simple it is, the Output tells me whether my program either succeeded or failed to compile, but the output of the program itself does not show up at all. It does not even flash on the screen. I have been searching online to find an answer to my problem, but I haven't found anything relative.

Another thing I feel important to add is that my F5 button is a web-browsing button (more specifically, QuickWeb) so I have to use Ctrl F7 in order to shortcut to my compiler. Wanted to mention that part in case it related to the problem at all.

Please help!

• Moved by Konrad Neitzel Monday, September 24, 2012 10:04 AM (From:Developer Documentation and Help System)
    Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

that sounds like a problem with the IDE when building C++ applications so I am moving your thread to the Visual C++ General forum for better support (This forum covers the developer documentation and MS help system only. Unfortunatly there seems to be no Visual C++ IDE forum).

In general you should be aware that there are different steps:
    - Compile will only compile a solution and not start it at all.
    - You need to start debug if you want to execute your application. If F5 is bound to something else you could use the Debug Menu to start debugging. Also be aware that the project should be the start project. And you can always simply open a CMD window and start the compiled executable yourself.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, September 24, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi ColorCentral,

Welcome here.

Based on your description, there is something wrong with your Visual Studio installation. If Konrad’s suggestion did not go further, please try the following workarounds:

1. Have we applied the latest service pack? If not, apply the service pack.

2. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? Also you can try this way : Tools->Import and Export settings-> reset all settings. It restores Visual Studio default settings.

3. If you are using other SDKs, e.g. Windows SDK, Windows Mobile SDK, DirectX SDK, etc,. Try to reinstall them. It may be the problem from SDK installation.

4. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

5. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

6. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate any other applications that are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: _http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

that sounds like a problem with the IDE when building C++ applications so I am moving your thread to the Visual C++ General forum for better support (This forum covers the developer documentation and MS help system only. Unfortunatly there seems to be no Visual C++ IDE forum).

In general you should be aware that there are different steps:
    - Compile will only compile a solution and not start it at all.
    - You need to start debug if you want to execute your application. If F5 is bound to something else you could use the Debug Menu to start debugging. Also be aware that the project should be the start project. And you can always simply open a CMD window and start the compiled executable yourself.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, September 24, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi ColorCentral,

Welcome here.

Based on your description, there is something wrong with your Visual Studio installation. If Konrad’s suggestion did not go further, please try the following workarounds:

1. Have we applied the latest service pack? If not, apply the service pack.

2. If we use “devenv.exe /resetsettings”, does it solve the problem? Also you can try this way : Tools->Import and Export settings-> reset all settings. It restores Visual Studio default settings.

3. If you are using other SDKs, e.g. Windows SDK, Windows Mobile SDK, DirectX SDK, etc,. Try to reinstall them. It may be the problem from SDK installation.

4. If the problem remains, we can use Visual Studio Setup Wizard (via Control Panel) to repair Visual Studio. It can restore the Visual Studio Installation into its original state.

5. If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

6. If we reboot the operating system to safe mode, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate any other applications that are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can apply or not. In addition to safe mode, we can also suggest “clean boot”: _http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Elegentin Xie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

I have marked these repies as answers.
    If you disagree, please unmark it, and post your doubt.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:10 AM