none
Deploying an application using Windows Bootstrapper... localization issues in the bootstrapper itself RRS feed

  • Question

  • First off, apologies if this isn't the correct way to post this question. It IS connected with deploying a .NET application using Windows Bootstrapper and installing the needed prerequisites.

    The thing is, despite asking Visual Studio to publish a localized package, the Microsoft Bootstrapper has some strings hard-coded into the setup.exe, such as "For the following components", and these strings are always in English. So despite having created localized packages for the .NET installation (which work... mostly... I'm still new at this :P) the ClickOnce installer is still not entirely localized to my liking.

    So far the only solution I found was to fire up a HEX editor and start manually changing the strings in the .EXE, which is a whole lot of painful work, especially if you need to publish some changes to your application.

    Any hints or tips as to how fix this issue would be appreciated.

    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:44 AM

Answers

  • I've solved the problem and I figured I'd post this here for the benefit of others.

    The bootstrapper uses strings defined in the following location:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Engine\<country code>

    It's worth noting that, at least in case of the Polish package, not all strings have been correctly localized.

     

    EDIT: It is also worth mentioning that a lot of the bootstrapper packages (again, at least as far as Polish is concerned) have incorrect EULAs, despite the fact that the CORRECT EULAs are compressed within the .msi component contained within. A simple solution: extract then copy-paste.

    • Marked as answer by Bender Mateusz Monday, November 15, 2010 2:27 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:27 PM