Importing Word Doc into Infopath for SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• I have InfoPath 2007 and MOSS 2007 and have successfully done a few custom InfoPath forms and published them to SharePoint.  I now want to take an existing Word .doc and convert it to an InfoPath form and then publish that to SharePoint.  I have come across many articles which direct me to click File>Import Form>InfoPath importer for Word documents and import the Word file, but the problem is I have no options when I click Import Form.  There are no converters listed.  How do I get the Importer so I can get this published in SharePoint?

EDIT - As a possible contributing factor, I currently have Office 2010 and InfoPath 2007.  I just tried running Office 2010 diagnostics but the issue still remains.

• Edited by Sephiroth0327 Monday, September 19, 2011 7:34 PM edit
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Sephiroth327,

Have you tried InfoPath 2007 and Office 2007? Version issues may cause the importers not to work as it is provided by third party providers.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Sephiroth0327,

I can see both InfoPath Importer for Excel Worksheets and InfoPath Importer for Word documents in InfoPath 2010 and InfoPath 2007, as you said, you have Office 2010 and InfoPath 2007, do you mean that you have no InfoPath 2010 when installing Office and install InfoPath 2007 alone?

Importers are created by third-party providers and hosted by the Microsoft Office Marketplace Web site, for more information, please refer to: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/import-a-file-to-use-as-a-form-template-HP001100310.aspx

As in this scenario, you may consider using same version of Office with InfoPath to see whether it works.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:14 AM
  • You should be able to just import the Word file to create your InfoPath form, then after it has been created you can make it a browser compatible form by going to the form options and the compatability section.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Thanks for the responses - as you can see from this screenshot, I have NO options in the Import Wizard.  I actually have both InfoPath 2007 and InfoPath 2010.  I had kept the 2007 version since I don't believe you can use the SharePoint features in InfoPath 2010 with MOSS 2007 (you receive an error that SharePoint 2010 is required). 

It is my understanding that I should be able to import from a Word document out-of-the-box.  I shouldn't need to buy anything extra from the Marketplace:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sephiroth0327/6170283276/

EDIT - In addition to running Office Diagnostics, I have run a repair on InfoPath 2007 and there was no improvement
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Hi Sephiroth327,

Have you tried InfoPath 2007 and Office 2007? Version issues may cause the importers not to work as it is provided by third party providers.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:45 PM
  • This article should help, the InfoPath 201 has no option for import according to the link below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179229.aspx

I am having the same challenge.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:25 AM
  • I know that this is an older question, but I found an answer that may be helpful to others.

In InfoPath 2013:

1. Go to File >> Options >> Customize Ribbon
    2. Set Choose commands from: dropdown to "All Commands"
    3. Select "Import Form" and add it to a custom group in the right column (you may have to create a group if you don't already have one)

Then you should be able to import Word and Excel documents directly from a custom group on the ribbon.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 10:29 PM