locked
Unexplainable Error Trying to Synchronize / Create Subscription RRS feed

  • Question

  • Using Windows 7 64 bit.  I'm trying to create a subscription / synchronize to a Distributor / Publisher on my same dev machine in code using the SqlCeReplication object (like sample code at bottom of this page).  I've pushed past ~ 15 difficult errors, but the current error is a dead end.  The error is:

    IIS Error 405 HTTP_STATUS_BAD_METHOD: The HTTP verb used is not allowed.

    When I hit the URL to my sqlcesa35.dll, it prompts to open/download the file, so it would seem that it is configured correctly.  I've added the verbs GET, POST, HEAD, PUT, DELETE under request filtering for the web site in IIS.  I tried to run a network capturing tool to see what verb it's using, but I couldn't seem to get that working correctly.

    What verb is it talking about?

    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:50 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Have you followed the advice here: http://erikej.blogspot.com/2010/06/walkthrough-configuring-merge.html
    Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Friday, September 16, 2011 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brad Wood Friday, September 16, 2011 3:50 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Have you followed the advice here: http://erikej.blogspot.com/2010/06/walkthrough-configuring-merge.html

    Well, that was part of it.  Right away, when I saw the screenshot of the check box for ISAPI Extensions in windows features I knew I needed that (IIS would just download sqlcesa35.dll when I hit the URL instead of reporting a message).  Then, I had to flip all sorts of switches in IIS to finally get it to execute.  After that the error I got was:

    Initializing SQL Server Reconciler has failed. Try again.

    So then I realized that I was getting some logging (in the same directory as sqlcesa35.dll) for the first time and I saw this in the log:

    ERR:Initialize failed for DistributorSessionID =  0

    After grinding and searching awhile longer, I discovered that all the old posts that indicated I needed to specify the InternetUrl and/or the Publisher by IP do not apply (at least not for 3.5 SP2).  I used localhost in the InternetUrl and machine name for Publisher and it finally worked.

    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:50 PM