none
Getting Error while creating Catalog file. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

When am trying to create a catalog file i got an error like 'Catalog file creation failed to complete. The 64-bit version of windows SIM can only create catalogs for 64-bit windows image.

I have installed the 'Windows ADK for windows 10, version 1703' and Windows 10 IOT Enterprise (selected 32-bit version).

Looks like i need 32-bit version of ADK tool.

Where do i get the 32-bit version of ADK tool.

Can anyone please let me know where i can download the 32-bit version of ADK tool.

Regards,

Mike

Monday, March 5, 2018 10:29 AM

All replies

• You can get it from the same place, but you'll need install it onto a 32-bit Windows Version. I did it in a virtual machine.
    • Edited by Willi K Monday, March 5, 2018 12:46 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I download from the below link. I tried for all the versions like V1709, V1703 and V1607 but for all the version am getting the same error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

Can you please give me the link from where i can download the proper 32-bit version.

Regards,

Mike

Monday, March 5, 2018 1:36 PM
  • The ADK version is not the issue. You tried to create a 64-bit catalog in a 32-bit Windows 10 image. This will not work. To create a 64-bit catalog you needed to perform the operation in a 64-bit Windows 10 image - details in my book: http://annabooks.com/Book_SGWin10IoTE.html 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, March 5, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Am trying to create a catalog file for 32-bit machine. So i downloaded 32-bit Windows 10 IOT LTSB and Downloaded ADK tool of version 1709 to my laptop.

My laptop configuration is Windows 10 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor, Intel Core i5.

So my question is,  If i have to create catalog for windows 10 32-bit machine means, Do i have to install the same ADK tool(Version 1709) in 32-bit machine?

Is 32-bit version of ADK tool available? or Is there any way to tell to SIM tool about my hardware specification so that based on my hardware specification it will create the catalog file?

Regards,

Mike

• Edited by Mike xing Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:26 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:24 PM
  • Yes, that what we want to try to tell you. Look for a computer with 32-bit-Version of Windows installed, and install the tools on it (the tools resp. the installer is the same one that you have used on your 64-bit system).
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 12:34 PM
  • Thanks Willi,

I understood now.

I have one more query. Using SIM tool on 32-bit machine i will create one catalog and one Answer file(unattended.xml) file.

After creating those files i need to install it in my target device. How do we do it?

Can you please let me know the process?

Regards,

Mike

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Hi Mike,

once you have created your answer file, copy it to the root directory of an UFD and rename it to "AutoUnattend.xml". Then boot the target device with the Windows Setup Media - it will look for devices having the AutoUnattend.xml in the root directory.

My preferred Method (Setup will complete faster):

• Format an UFD (to be sure: 8GB) using the FAT32 format
    • Copy the contents of the Windows Setup DVD unto the UFD
    • Copy the AutoUnattend.xml onto the root of the UFD
    • Boot the target from that UFD and WIndows Setup will do the rest (unless there is something wrong with the XML file)
    Tuesday, March 6, 2018 2:26 PM
  • Hi Willi,

Thanks for your reply,

If possible can you give some links which explains about the installation of OS image in target system becoz this is the first time am working this type of work.

Then boot the target device with the Windows Setup Media : It means how do we do it?

Best Regards,

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:18 PM
  • Take a look at the link to my book which covers your questions.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:08 PM