intranet and internet content databases sharing . RRS feed

• Question

•  
    We have created an intranet site using SPS2003 with a content database , say X . Now we are working on creating an internet site using MOSS 2007, say with a content database Y.
    My question is if we have two different content databases, is there a way , the content database X can talk to content database Y, so that the content can be shared between the two databases ?

Also, if shared, then how will the versioning take place in each content database ?

Is it a good idea to have a single content database for an internet and an intranet web application ?, If we use a single content database for both the web applications, and assuming if the database goes down, then both the internet and intranet applications will go down. 

The amount of shared content that is present in the intranet database is only 20% now, but eventually it might grow.

I would appreciate any advice in this regard.

Thanks
    vamsy
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:15 PM

Answers

• The Content DB of SPS2003 ad MOSS2007 are very different in structure. You can't "share" without a third part component (if exist).

for internet and intranet with one content DB, you can:

• Create a new SPS2003 virtual machine
    • backup the X web application and restore the web application on this new machine
    • Upgrade to Moss 2007
    • backup the upgrade X web application (now in 2007 version)
    • Restore in Y web application in MOSS 2007 already configured
    • Extend the web application 
    • Create an alternate Access Maping for internet Zone
    • Dismiss the web application on SPS2003

So you have the same ContentDB for internet and intranet, all on the new installation of MOSS with no risk of Denied Of Service for the User.

Regards,

Francesco 

www.sharepointinside.it
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Yes if you extend your web application you need to be very confident that your security is setup correctly, or else some of your internal content may be visable on the internet.

I would recommend setting up some play accounts so you can login as in internal and external user. This way when you login as these play accounts you will see exactly what the end users will be seeing.

Cheers,
    James.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:27 AM
  • this is what you have to do for extend web application:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287954(TechNet.10).aspx

the web application extension need to change Authentication Provider (intranet in NTLM, internet in Basic-SSL) so you can use this one for pusblish your web application to internet.

Regards,

Francesco

PS. if this is the solution, mark my post as answer! ;) thanks!
    www.sharepointinside.it
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:32 AM

All replies

• The Content DB of SPS2003 ad MOSS2007 are very different in structure. You can't "share" without a third part component (if exist).

for internet and intranet with one content DB, you can:

• Create a new SPS2003 virtual machine
    • backup the X web application and restore the web application on this new machine
    • Upgrade to Moss 2007
    • backup the upgrade X web application (now in 2007 version)
    • Restore in Y web application in MOSS 2007 already configured
    • Extend the web application 
    • Create an alternate Access Maping for internet Zone
    • Dismiss the web application on SPS2003

So you have the same ContentDB for internet and intranet, all on the new installation of MOSS with no risk of Denied Of Service for the User.

Regards,

Francesco 

www.sharepointinside.it
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Thank you Francesco ,

Can you tell me , if there exists any tool for this purpose ?

Thanks

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:07 PM
  • No, i don't Know...

But with Visual Studio... the only limit is your immagination! :)
    www.sharepointinside.it
    Friday, July 25, 2008 4:17 PM

• Francesco

Excellent, thank for your reply.

There is slight change in the question, what are the steps that need to be followed when the intranet site is build on MOSS 2007  ?

I am sorry for misunderstanding.

Thanks
     vamsy
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:41 PM
  • This is essentially the same question , but with a slight change

We have created an intranet site using MOSS 2007 with a content database , say X . Now we are working on creating an internet site using MOSS 2007, say with a content database Y.
    My question is if we have two different content databases, is there a way , the content database X can talk to content database Y, so that the content can be shared between the two databases ?

Also, if shared, then how will the versioning take place in each content database ?

Is it a good idea to have a single content database for an internet and an intranet web application ?, If we use a single content database for both the web applications, and assuming if the database goes down, then both the internet and intranet applications will go down. 

The amount of shared content that is present in the intranet database is only 20% now, but eventually it might grow.

Thanks
    Vamsy
    Friday, July 25, 2008 6:43 PM
  • How are your "Intranet" and "Internet" servers setup?
    Are you hosting them on the same physical network ? or will you be using a DMZ for the Internet site?

Regards,
    JAmes.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 10:20 PM
  • James,
    Thank you for your reply. They are hosted on the same physical network. In fact the internet application might be on the same server as an intranet application.

I just wanted to know how do we go about doing it .

Thanks
    Vamsy

Saturday, July 26, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Intranet and Internet Application are the same? or are two different application?
    in the last case, i think is a good idea 2 different content DB, with a service that sincronize the contents (i think lists or not? ).

In the case of a list you can think to do a service that download the content from the internet site and upload the content in the intranet site.
    The sincronization is a problem, because you lose many advanced features offered by MOSS (lock document in writing mode for only one user for example..).

The best idea i think is my action plan:

Expand the web application (same content DB and same application for intranet and internet).

Regards,

Francesco 

www.sharepointinside.it
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:01 AM
  • Franseco,

Intranet and internet applications are different. So, are you saying , that extending a web application with the same content database as  intranet application would be a better idea ?

If yes, then how do we go about doing it ?

Thanks
    vamsy
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Let's say I have my intranet site and I expand it to make it an internet site. When you Expand the web application and use the same content database, changes you make on the intranet should show up on the internet. Right?

Just asking because this might solve a problem I'm having. Thanks!

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Yes, you are right, my question was, is it a good idea to expand a  intranet web application to internet web application ?
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Yes if you extend your web application you need to be very confident that your security is setup correctly, or else some of your internal content may be visable on the internet.

I would recommend setting up some play accounts so you can login as in internal and external user. This way when you login as these play accounts you will see exactly what the end users will be seeing.

Cheers,
    James.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:27 AM
  • I think I accomplished this correctly.

My internal site is on an internal server and my internet site is on a public server and they both share the content database. there is on one user on the public server and on the internal server my designers and contributors have user accounts. So they have to logon to the internal site to do any editing and once the content gets approved it will be visiblle on the public site.

If anyone can follow what I setup, can you tell me if they see any flaws in my setup? For this is my first implementation of sharepoint.

Thanks!
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 2:58 AM
  • this is what you have to do for extend web application:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287954(TechNet.10).aspx

the web application extension need to change Authentication Provider (intranet in NTLM, internet in Basic-SSL) so you can use this one for pusblish your web application to internet.

Regards,

Francesco

PS. if this is the solution, mark my post as answer! ;) thanks!
    www.sharepointinside.it
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 11:32 AM
  • I am looking at implementing the exact same solution as you seem to have done.  Can you tell me how things are going with your sites, and any of the gotcha's you encountered while doing this?

Also, I'm wondering about your architecture.  I'm assuming that your internal content structure is different than that which you present to the internet users.  How did you go about copying the content from your intranet site to the internet site, and making the structure different?

The reason I'm asking is becuase I think that our intranet site will be organized by department, but the internet site is really organized by topic, because on the internet, our internal departmental structure dosen't make much sense.

Thank you,
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  Lucas,

My internal and external content structure is the same.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:46 PM