none
.NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle relies on Oracle Client Interface RRS feed

• Question

• I think I understand that to use the:

System.Data.OracleClient.dll

the Oracle Client must first be installed...

We've are using version 1.0.1012.0 of the DLL for, well, what seems a long time and I'm wondering whether the DLL is explictely tied to any particular version of Oracle or Oracle client.

What considerations should be made, beyond extensive testing, with respect to upgrading Oracle, the Oracle Client, and the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle ?

Thank you for reading.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• System.Data.OracleClient.dll requires a minimum version of oracle to be installed I can't recall exactly but it was a version higher than 7.x
    If you have multiple oracle clients installed on the machine, the one that occurs first in the path environment variable will be used.
    As for oracle client upgrade don't worry as long as oracle server and client are you'll be fine.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Hi,
    you can also refer to following thread which is dealing with similar issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/a442feec-a96a-47f3-946c-f4f2767664d4

Best regards

Ryszard Gawron MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”

Friday, June 5, 2009 9:07 AM
  • I believe 8.1.7 is the minimum version of the client supported by the native Oracle .NET library, and no it is not tied to any specific version of the client. If you are using an earlier version of the client then you would need to use either the OLEDB or ODBC .NET library and one of the OLEDB providers or ODBC drivers for Oracle.

So beyond that it's just a matter of thorough testing.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:52 PM