Using SQL 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• User-908220136 posted
    What is needed to convert it to SQL 2000? I don't want to use SQL 2005 Express and can't upgrade to 2005 full edition yet.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2005 1:00 PM

All replies

• User-429982059 posted
     The club started kit maybe taking advantages of SQL Server 2005 features and may not allow you to run it on SQL 2000.  I wouldnt quote me on that and I would at least try just exporting [ or getting] the schema and importing it into SQL Server 2000.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2005 8:47 PM
  • User-908220136 posted

I've been able to get it working with SQL 2000 about 90% of the way. There are some pieces that I can't get to work though. Mostly related to the Club.MDF file. I've changed the web.config so that it points to the SQL server and I have configured the database there. So it's close, but I'm missing something.

thanks

Wednesday, December 7, 2005 9:09 AM
  • User-1011205861 posted

swpyatt, take a look at these:

HOWTO: use a single SQL2000 database for Club Site Starter Kit
    (http://forums.asp.net/1106750/ShowPost.aspx)

Using Club Starter Kit with SQL 2000
    (http://forums.asp.net/898006/ShowPost.aspx)

Club Site Starter Kit and SQL 2000
    (http://forums.asp.net/945103/ShowPost.aspx)

IT Works!

Wednesday, December 7, 2005 12:49 PM
  • User8599230 posted
    I have successfully deployed the club starter kit using only sql server 2000 db.  It's a little cumbersome, but it works just fine.  I'll just point out the main things:

1.  First you have to set up the database.  Use the "club-add.sql" for this.

2.  You must use a local instance of the club starter kit.  It is the only way to utilize the "Web Admin Config" tool that comes with Visual Web Developer Express 2005.  This is the only way to set "Users" and "Rolls" in the DataBase...That I know of.

3.  Modify the connection string throughout the site so that it points to your sql 2000 database.  Remember to use the connection string name throughout the site...(hint: i use the "find/replace" feature).

4.  Next use the "aspnet_regsql.exe" program located in the 2.0 firmware folder to set up the sql 2000 authentacation tables and stored proc's.

5.  Modify both the "rollManager" and the "membership" tags in the web.config in order to specify a specific database when you use the "Web Admin Config" tool.  Otherwise, it defaults to the DB supplied with the sdk (ASPNETDB.MDF).

6.  Copy all of the files to your server application.

That covers the jist of things.  Good luck.

Wednesday, December 7, 2005 10:08 PM
  • User-908220136 posted

I'm assuming by "local instance" of the starter kit. You mean I need to run Visual Web Developer on the IIS server that I'm using? I can't do that. Also can you give me an example of the RollManager and membership tags that you mentioned? I think I have those set correctly, but I'm not sure.

I'm getting close to having it work, but there are a few issues remaining.

Thursday, December 8, 2005 11:01 AM
  • User-908220136 posted
    I have gotten this to work. There are a few tricks to it. Post a message if you need help.
    Friday, December 9, 2005 9:34 AM
  • User8599230 posted
    That's correct.  Have a local copy on your IIS.  As far as the code:

<!-- For Rolls -->

<roleManager
          enabled="true" 
          defaultProvider="SqlRoleProvider"
          maxCachedResults="25"  >
          <providers>
            <add
              name="SqlRoleProvider"
              connectionStringName="New_DB_ConnectionString"
              applicationName="/myClubSite"
              type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"/>
          </providers>
        </roleManager>

<!-- for members -->

<membership defaultProvider="SqlProvider">
       <providers>
        <add connectionStringName="New_DB_ConnectionString" applicationName="/myClubSite"
         enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
         requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
         passwordAttemptWindow="10" name="SqlProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider" />
       </providers>
      </membership>

<!-- I also moved this to it's own catagory: -->

<siteMap defaultProvider="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
                <providers>
                    <remove name="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider"/>
                    <add name="AspNetXmlSiteMapProvider" description="SiteMap provider which reads in .sitemap XML files." type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider" securityTrimmingEnabled="true" siteMapFile="Web.sitemap"/>
                </providers>

Hope that helps.

))||((
    (-J-)

Friday, December 9, 2005 4:34 PM
  • User8599230 posted
    Sorry swpyatt,  I would like to make a small correction.  What I mean by "local" is make sure that when you use Visual Web Developer, you run that code from a "folder" that is created on your development machine automatically...VWD Express will use a "deamon" to run the application on the "localhost".  It is possible to run an instance on your ISP server, but you cannot utilize the Web Admin Tool that comes with VWDE, which is what you need to configure "Users" and "Rolls"...Check the DB tables for users and rolls in the ASPNETDB.MDF.  You will see that the "keys" are encrypted...This is the best workaround that I could find.  Does this help?

))||((
    (-J-)

Friday, December 9, 2005 4:42 PM
  • User662765349 posted

Hi, could you please let me know how do you accompish this? I am trying to put it on godaddy and it's not working at all. Creating roles .. and all...

Thanks

Dhukurz

Thursday, July 20, 2006 12:55 PM
  • User662765349 posted

Hello Janus: regarding this code:

<roleManager
          enabled="true" 
          defaultProvider="SqlRoleProvider"
          maxCachedResults="25"  >
          <providers>
            <add
              name="SqlRoleProvider"
              connectionStringName="New_DB_ConnectionString"
              applicationName="/myClubSite"
              type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"/>
          </providers>
        </roleManager>

---->> applicationName -- tag -- what do i change when i upload it to a hosting site???

thanks

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:06 PM