What to install via Android SDK Manager? RRS feed

• Question

• User209089 posted

New user wanting to try out Xamarin, now that it's free.

The downloader tells me to use "Android SDK Manager" to install these components: - Android SDK Tools (mandatory) - Android SDK Platform-tools (mandatory) - Android SDK Build-tools (mandatory) - Android API 15 - Android API 19 - Android API 23

But those APIs are HUUUGE! Many many many gigs. Will take forever on my slow and metered connection.

1. Shouldn't I just get the latest (23)?

2. What parts of the API do I really need? There is no breakdown anywhere as to what those components are. I assume I need the "SDK Platform". But do I need all those "System Image", "Google APIs", "Sources", etc.?

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:37 PM

Answers

• User103165 posted

That should be the case yes. But - and I'm not a 100% sure - I think it's recommended to install these SDKs as a minimum because some old components etc. are being used or if you want to support older platforms.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 2:50 PM

All replies

• User103165 posted

Well I hate to break it to you, but that is basically all that you need at a bare minimum. You could scrape a bit in the emulator images probably.

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:44 PM
  • User209089 posted

@GeraldVersluis Do I need to install each version that I want to target - so for example, if I only download 23 then I can only target 23? (I.e. the API is not cumulative.)

Friday, April 1, 2016 2:47 PM
  • User103165 posted

That should be the case yes. But - and I'm not a 100% sure - I think it's recommended to install these SDKs as a minimum because some old components etc. are being used or if you want to support older platforms.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2016 2:50 PM
  • User209089 posted

I see.

As for which parts of an API to install, the second image in this blog post shows that most are excluded, and only what I assume are the "important" bits are installed... but I'm a newbie, so I don't know what's important.

So confusing :confused:

I think Xamarin needs to post a comprehensive explanation for this issue. >> HINT For Xamarin Staff <<

Thanks for your advice!

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:07 PM
  • User209089 posted

This SO question seems to indicate that the APIs are cumulative as I expected. So if you want to target a minimum of API 10, you don't need to install it, you can simply install 23 (which includes the older ones too).

Can anyone confirm whether that is correct? Because then the install notes are incorrect - I don't need to download 15 and 19, only 23!

Saturday, April 2, 2016 12:53 AM