none
XPERF and memoryanalysis counter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am starting to use Xperf, the versrion i download is  4.1.6512.
    Witj that version, i don't find anay counter related to memory (i want to have the mem usage by process).
    On a video of wperf, i saw that a memeoryanalysis counter exist, can you tell me which version have this counter and where can i download it

Thanks a lot

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi dan1012,

Are you referring to the MEMINFO event provider?

Note that the Win7RC1 SDK includes a newer version of the WPT...
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for your answer

No, i am not referring to MEMINFO, i got that switch with my actual version :

Kernel Groups:
           Base           : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+PROFILE+MEMINFO
           Diag           : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+DPC+INTERRUPT+CSWITCH+PERF_COUNTER+COMPACT_C
           DiagEasy       : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+DPC+INTERRUPT+CSWITCH+PERF_COUNTER
           Latency        : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+DPC+INTERRUPT+CSWITCH+PROFILE
           FileIO         : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+FILE_IO+FILE_IO_INIT
           IOTrace        : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+CSWITCH
           ResumeTrace    : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+DISK_IO+HARD_FAULTS+PROFILE+POWER
           SysProf        : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+PROFILE
           Network        : PROC_THREAD+LOADER+NETWORKTRACE

I saw on the video of Xperf, a Kernel Group named MemoryAnalysis with ...+MEMORY+MEMINFO+  ....
    I am really interesting by this option to study the process memory usage.

Have you a linked with the new version of xperf that does need to download all Win7RCRC1 SDK ?

Thanks by advance

Friday, June 12, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Have you a linked with the new version of xperf that does need to download all Win7RCRC1 SDK ?
    Unfortunately, no.  Presumably once 7 hits RTM the WPT bits for it will be more readily available.

I can't guarantee that the 7RC1 version has the details you're interested in.

One of the help topics in the help with the RC1 version of WPT is entitled "Quick Start - Enabling Data Capture on Process Launch"; it shows use of the Base kernel group which as mentioned includes MEMINFO; it also gets into detail about heap tracing, which seems at least somewhat related to your inquiry...
    Friday, June 12, 2009 10:19 AM

• Thanks for your answer. I will try to download the last version.

However, with MEMINFO, i dont get any pertinent information.

Can you tell me how i can obtain a graphic with the usage of memory for each process (like we have for CPU) ?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 12:24 PM
  • I haven't worked very much with xperf and memory, but I wonder if some of the heap-related graphs may be of interest?  Check the "Quick Start - Enabling Data Capture on Process Launch" topic in the WPA help for more details.

What type of memory usage are you interested in? Working set? Private bytes?  Process Explorer can show a Private Bytes History for each process...
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Dan, which xperf video are you referring to?

Thanks,
    Michael

Monday, June 15, 2009 5:32 PM
  • I am referring to the video HowDoIStartWithxPerf.wmv

download.microsoft.com/download/B/E/7/BE79CF36-9D33-4DE1-882A-83B2A6E1D170/HowDoIStartWithxPerf.wmv

At 00:52 you can see on the prompt Memoryanalysis .

Thanks for your help
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:18 PM
  • MEMINFO gives you a basic overview of the overall memory manager behavior, by sampling the following system-wide properties on a 500ms periodic interval:

1.       FreePages

2.       Standby[0..7]

3.       TotalStandby

4.       ModifiedPages

5.       InUsePages

6.       RepurposedPages

Those wouldn’t be particularly useful for memory analysis of an application or a driver. These events are used to optimize the OS itself.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:37 PM