Copy template RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a template can I create a copy of that template? This way I can just make the changes needed in it. My site will have three templates which are all slightly different but will contain some of the same content. For example, all templates will have the same links on the bottom of each page.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:00 AM

Answers

• I figured it out. In site view, I right clicked the DWT file, select copy, then paste to make a copy.
    • Marked as answer by gference Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 AM

All replies

• Where did you get the template? Does it have a DWT?

Usually, you'd make a DWT (or 3) and create all pages from that (or a Master page if you're using ASP.NET). If you're using one of the thousands of badly designed templates still floating around the web, then your only choice is to make a DWT from that or choose File, SaveAs...

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:58 AM
  • I am a newbie and created a template (DWT). I can create 2 more templates but thought there would be an easy way to copy templates within a site.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Sure you can copy them. Just use File, Save As... and give it a new name. Just like any other kind of file.
    "If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:59 AM
  • I figured it out. In site view, I right clicked the DWT file, select copy, then paste to make a copy.
    • Marked as answer by gference Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:02 AM