none
Windows 10 IoT boot time on Raspberry Pi 2

Question

• Hello,

I'm interested in using Windows 10 IoT for a new product, but my tests with the Raspberry Pi 2 show the boot time at almost 1 minute, while my prior systems running Windows CE 6 boot in less than 30 seconds.  If I can't get the boot time down to 30 seconds, I'll have to forego using Windows 10 IoT. 

Can anything be done about the Windows 10 IoT boot time on the Raspberry Pi 2?

Note:  The SD Card I'm using with the Raspberry Pi 2 is a 16GB class 10 HC card.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi JinShil,

CE Boot times are dependent on the size of the OS, memory location for very fast boot from RAM and the type of bootloader so not really comparable to IoT with it's relatively fixed size and UEFI requirement. That being said, both OS's can be victims of slow SD cards if they are both booting from SD. In my experience, IoT is VERY slow on lower speed SD cards like your class 10. I have multiple SD Cards that I use for my boot time comparisons, my Kingston 8G Micro HC SDC10 is similar to your card and is the slowest I have. The fastest I have is a Samsung EVO 16 that boots in about 1/10th the time as the Kingston. Note that this is also obvious when you use DISM to put the OS on the SD card. The time to load the OS on my Samsung EVO is so much faster in that instance as well.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, November 30, 2015 6:43 PM
  • I just tested a 32GB Samsung Pro+ rated at 95MB/s (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Plus-MicroSDHC-Memory-Write/dp/B01273L37G/).  It was the fastest SD Card I could find.

It didn't make any difference.  Both that card and my 16GB Samsung class 10 card take almost exactly 60 seconds to boot, so the bottleneck is clearly not the SD Card.  If you believe I'm mistaken, please post your faster boot times with a procedure for others in the community to reproduce your results.

Since the Windows Embedded home page (as of writing this) is all about "Microsoft's vision for IoT", comparing Windows CE (or Windows Embedded Compact) to Windows 10 IoT is perfectly valid. 

Furthermore, Raspian Linux boots on the Raspberry Pi 2 in approximately 35s with my Samsung class 10 card, and has a far richer feature set than Windows 10 IoT.

So my question remains:  Is Microsoft doing anything about this?  Can anything be done to decrease the boot time of Windows 10 IoT?

• Edited by JinShil Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:05 PM wordsmithing
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 6:04 AM
  • Hi JinShil,

I am using a MinnowBoardMax not a Raspberry Pi and I do notice a difference between the cards. Also first boot is expected to be slower than later boots as configurations will be in place after first boot.

Side Question Feature Set: I agree that the IoTCore Feature set is different than Raspian but they have a very different purpose. This is a much larger question but in general you should choose your OS based on what you are trying to accomplish. I recommend you look at some of the other threads on this topic as there are already many.

Such as: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa0d5f3d-c7ff-4a7d-ac38-ff30de689092/apps-for-iot?forum=WindowsIoT

Main Question Boot time: Is important in some scenarios and I am sure all platform manufacturers are looking to minimize that time.  What is the relative size of your Linux image VS your IoT Image? This can have a huge impact as a discussed above regarding comparing CE to IoT editions. Also, IoT Devices are more likely to run 24x7 like your average wireless hub or banking kiosk so their initial boot times are not really critical.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Has Microsoft released any tool like Platform Builder for Windows CE/Windows Embedded Compact that can be used to customize Windows 10 IoT, and optimize for boot times?
    • Edited by JinShil Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:00 AM Grammar
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 5:00 AM
  • Hi JinShil,

If you have an MSDN subscription you could try the blog steps as discussed in this post https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/67fe27a5-f533-4d71-ab98-b1c9e1c4ba2d/build-custom-windows-10-iot-image?forum=WindowsIoT.

However, I am not sure you have any control over the bootloader itself, likely you will have to work with the Silicon Vendor to optimize the parts that they provide.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:06 PM