SharePoint Content database and SQL AOAG group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

our DBA think it is not possible for one database to be in two different SQL availability (AOAG) groups and I am struggle to find a clear answer online. 
    Can anyone familiar with SQL 2012 AlwaysOn Availability group help verify and answer the question.

Can one content database be included in two different SQL AlwaysOn AG groups?

Can you achieve the below diagram with one AOAG group  or must have 2 AOAG groups?

diagram show

2 farms

AOAG group ?

DB1 to DB2  (S) Synchronous connection on same farm1

then

DB1 to DB3  (A) Asynchronous connection between  farm1 and farm2

Thanks for all advices or answer

Swanl

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Swanl,

>> our DBA think it is not possible for one database to be in two different SQL availability (AOAG) groups and I am struggle to find a clear answer online.

Yes, your DBA is right. To be eligible to be added to an availability group, a database must not belong to any existing availability group. Please refer to Availability Database Prerequisites and Restrictions.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:42 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:28 AM

All replies

• You can create a Alwayson availability group as indicated in the diagram without any issues.

This diagram requires 3 database servers with SQL server installed.

Your question : our DBA think it is not possible for one database to be in two different SQL availability (AOAG) groups and I am struggle to find a clear answer online. 

My View : Your DBA is right if above was the question you asked. Your above question and diagram is completely different.

You should have asked your DBA this,
    can the content databases be added to Alwayson availability group with a synchronous and Asynchronous replica.

Your question means below,

Db Server:

Server1
    Server2
    Server3

DB:

Content_Db1
    Content_Db2

AG:

Prod-AG1
    Prod-AG2

Your question was whether databases Content_Db1 and Conetnt_DB2 be added to Availability group Prod-AG1 and Prod-AG2 ? Which is not possible and your DBA might have understood this way.

Regards;
    Vivek Janakiraman
    ----------------------------
    My Blog
    My Linkedin Page
    ----------------------------

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:14 AM
  • Hi Swanl,

>> our DBA think it is not possible for one database to be in two different SQL availability (AOAG) groups and I am struggle to find a clear answer online.

Yes, your DBA is right. To be eligible to be added to an availability group, a database must not belong to any existing availability group. Please refer to Availability Database Prerequisites and Restrictions.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:42 PM
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Hi Virek

Thanks for your comment and insight. 

I agreed the questions are different but may related depend on the answer.
    As indicate in the diagram, there is one group  Prod-AG2

3 servers:   DB1, DB2 and DB3

DB1 sync DB2
    and
    DB1 async  DB3

Content databases:  Content_DB1

you are correct,  I should ask the DBA or create a post for the question
    Can the content databases (Content_DB1) be added to Alwayson availability group with a synchronous and Asynchronous replica?

Thanks again

Swanl

Monday, September 16, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Hi Cathy

Thanks for your answer and provided the information for me to confirm that.

so one database can only be in one AlwaysOn Availibity group.  from the information you provided,  look like it is still hold truth even with the latest version of SQL AlwaysOn (SQL 2017) correct?

Thanks

Swanl

Monday, September 16, 2019 4:19 PM
  • Hi Cathy

Thanks for your answer and provided the information for me to confirm that.

so one database can only be in one AlwaysOn Availibity group.  from the information you provided,  look like it is still hold truth even with the latest version of SQL AlwaysOn (SQL 2017) correct?

Thanks

Swanl

Hi Swanl,

Yes, you are right.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:21 AM