Error Message : 'Access is denied’ During Batch Execution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are executing our Coded UI tests in bulk(as test suite) from VS 2010. Some of our Coded UI test cases are getting failed and showing error message as ‘Access is denied’.

Although the test cases failing in the suite are getting passed when they are executed individually.

What could be the probable reason for this error?

An early reply will always be appreciated.

Ankur Saini

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Saini,

Thank you for your post.

"Some of our Coded UI test cases are getting failed and showing error message as‘Access is denied’. "

If possible, you can provide us more detailed error information so that we can further look at this issue.

According to your description, I think that your test cases are normal because you can execute them successfully individual.

According to your another post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/aec04274-31b9-47e4-95cb-10e09c90efd1

I assume you said the same scenario in two threads. The test suite contains of more than thousand Coded UI tests and you will run all of them using a batch file and MSTest.exe. I am afraid that it is a challenge to your computer performance because of running so many tests once. Maybe some performance issues will occur.

I suggest that you can run less test cases using the batch file at one time. And you can run those test cases with another machine having better performance.

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:30 AM
  • Hello Ankur,

I am marking my reply as answer. If my suggestion can’t help you, you can come back and unmark it as answer. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to come back and ask me.

Best reagrds,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Thank Amanda for reply.

Sorry for late reply. Please find below the detail about the error message:

W, 10144, 30, 2012/12/10, 21:36:19.321, 1675246208548, QTAgent32.exe, ExtensionFramework : A Technology Manager with name Web is already registered.

W, 10144, 30, 2012/12/10, 21:36:21.008, 1675252212256, QTAgent32.exe, IEDOM : StopSession of the plugin called before StartSession

W, 10144, 30, 2012/12/10, 21:36:21.008, 1675252212585, QTAgent32.exe, UIA : StopSession of the plugin called before StartSession

W, 10144, 30, 2012/12/10, 21:36:21.008, 1675252212711, QTAgent32.exe, SLPlugin : StopSession of the plugin called before StartSession

I do agree with you that the test cases are correct. Actually the test cases are written at very granular level (one test case covers only one functionality). So the count of test cases is very high but execution time for each test case is very less. Also we don't have a choice to run less test cases using the batch file as the complete functionality need to test.

This problem seems to be related with QTAgent32.exe. I am also trying the exact reason of this.

Kindly let me know if the question is still unclear.

Ankur Saini

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Hello Ankur,

According to the information provided by you, as my understanding, it seems that the coded UI test has finished before it start to find some controls. Even it only analyzed the web technology manager is already registered.

I suggest that you can enable tracing for “UI” components through How To: Enable Tracing for “UI Test” Components to provide us more useful information so that we can further look at this issue.

You said that one test case only covers one functionality so you have more than thousands of tests. Even the execution time for each test case is very less. I think that it means the function of test case is not complex. In this case, as my personal point of view, I think that you can create multiple functions on one test case. And you can create multiple UI Maps and codedUI tests in one test project to check the result.

When you are testing a large application, using multiple UI Maps has many benefits.

For more and detailed information, please see:

Testing a Large Application with Multiple UI Maps

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:01 AM
  • Hello Ankur,

Could you get useful information from our reply?

Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestion?

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Although the problem is not fully resolved yet, but no doubt that the suggestion were helpful.

I think, I am close the correct solution. The possible solution may be in:

QTAgent32.exe: Why StopSession of the plugin is called before StartSession? How we can manage this?

Rerun Failed Test Case: In the TestCleanup method finds out the failed test case and rerun that.

Ankur Saini

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:25 AM
  • Hello Saini,

Glad to receive your reply.

As for QTAgent32.exe stopsession and startsession issue, I have seen this error message in many threads. Generally people get this error message when the coded UI test fails and before the test finishes.

You can see the following threads:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/nl/vsautotest/thread/20b033eb-a328-4f18-b7d0-dd7125e29be0

http://qa.social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsautotest/thread/ea122734-bf46-4386-a2a3-0fbc188e1cce

As my personal point of view, maybe it is related to Coded UI test internal engine. I’m afraid these questions require a more in-depth level of support. To help you resolve this issue, I suggest you visit the following link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=%2fdefault.aspx%3fid%3dfh%253ben-us%253bofferprophone

I have noticed the second solution provided in your other thread. I also think that it is a possible solution to resolve this issue. If possible, you can update the solution here after you have resolved this issue with TestCleanUp method, which will be very benefit to other members having similar issues.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Thanks Amanda for the detail information.

Sure, I will update if any of the approach works for this issue.

Again, I really appreciate your support.

Ankur Saini

Monday, December 17, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Hello Ankur,

Thank you for your understanding and support again. Then I will mark our reply as answer. If you think that the suggestion can’t help you, you can come back and unmark it as answer. If you have anything unclear, please feel free to come back and ask me.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 12:27 AM