none
Is it possible to change the location of loading the Word addin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed and deployed a Word addin on the Intranet server.

My users may or may not be online all the time. That would mean that I load the Addin from the local machine when the user is not online.

Is it possible to do that ?

Regards,

Nalini

Friday, April 6, 2012 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hi Nalini,

As far as I know the Word 2003's add-in will regist as a COM object. You need to search your addin name in the HKEY_CLASS_ROOT to find out CLSID then find the value of CodeBase under HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\classes\CLSID\[Your add-in's CLSID]\InsprocServer32.

CodeBase is  the localtion of your Word 2003 add-in.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Nalini,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience what you want can been done. As far as I know, every add-in will have registry hive in the system. Yon are able to change the value of manifest to redirect your add-in's location. I would recommend your clarify following options for further research:

1. Your Office version.
    2. If you Office version is 2010 please tell me whether your Office is 64-bit or 32 bit.
    3. Your Platform version and whether it is 64-bit platform or 32-bit.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I am developing a Visual Studio 2008 Word 2003 addin using the same method as suggested by Andrew in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/andreww/archive/2008/09/02/version-specific-ui-in-add-ins.aspx

The platform will be 32-bit for now. May upgrade to 64 bit later on.

Regards,

Nalini

Monday, April 9, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi Nalini,

As far as I know the Word 2003's add-in will regist as a COM object. You need to search your addin name in the HKEY_CLASS_ROOT to find out CLSID then find the value of CodeBase under HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\classes\CLSID\[Your add-in's CLSID]\InsprocServer32.

CodeBase is  the localtion of your Word 2003 add-in.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:28 AM