none
Can't see System.ServiceModel in Add Reference RRS feed

• Question

• Hi:
    I've just installed the July CTP of .Net 3.0 and its accompanying SDK. However, when I attempt to Add a reference to System.ServiceModel to a project in VS2005, I do not see System.ServiceModel listed on the .Net tab of the Add Reference dialog. However, the System.ServiceModel is in the GAC.

This is happening on 2 machines.

Anyone have any idea as to what may be going on here?

Thanks
    Lionel

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 7:47 PM

Answers

• I added following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders\NET30Wcf

with following value: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\

Hope this help.

Damir

Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:20 PM

All replies

• you can install vsextwfx.msi like explained in this blog,This should fix Add reference problem

http://blogs.msdn.com/markgabarra/archive/2006/08/01/685797.aspx

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 1:38 AM
  • Madhu:
    Thanks for the response.

I installed vsextwfx.msi as explained in the blog but this did not solve the problem. As a next step, I uninstalled .Net 3.0 and then re-installed it and this also failed to solve the problem. I rebooted after each step just to make certain.

Otherwise, I was able to add the reference to System.ServiceModel.dll directly by browsing to the "....\Microsoft.Net\...\Windows Communication Foundation" folder and VS doesn't complain - presumably, this is OK

Thanks
    Lionel

Wednesday, August 9, 2006 3:47 PM
  • Madhu:

Unfortunately, following these instructions caused a few problems - that seemed to show up after I had done the latest Microsoft Update. The 2 problems that showed up were:

a. On attempting to view the design properties in VS for any control, a dialog pops up saying something like:

"Package 'PresentationDesignVisualStudio has failed to load properly ( GUID = {E58C2A88-BCC4-4559-AD59-D62Eb6D58A22} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption.  Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading."

b. The help viewer link to the .Net class library reference is broken.

Removing the referenced "Orcas" install using Add/Remove Programs solved both problems

Lionel

Saturday, August 12, 2006 3:17 PM
  • I added following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders\NET30Wcf

with following value: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\

Hope this help.

Damir

Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:20 PM
  • Damir:
    Works like a charm!!

Much appreciated
    Thanks
    Lionel

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:38 AM
  • After above solution, restart vs
    Wednesday, December 20, 2006 7:36 PM
  • Even simpler, install Visual Studio 2005 Extension for WCF  (or Orcas, new version of Visual Studio)

cf http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F54F5537-CC86-4BF5-AE44-F5A1E805680D&displaylang=en

Cheers.

Louis

Sunday, August 12, 2007 9:07 PM