New Hosting Wizard in VS 2008 SP1 for WCF Service Projects - Where the heck is it? RRS feed

• Question

• On the readme for .net framework 3.5 sp1/vs 2008 sp1 it states that one of the new features is:

"New Hosting Wizard in VS 2008 SP1 for WCF Service Projects"

So where is this? It isn't a project template and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!

Friday, May 16, 2008 5:03 PM

Answers

• the wizard is located in the "build" menu. It's called "Publish ProjectName".

The wizard itself is a copy of the ASp.Net deplyment feature, which has been available for some time now. You might not have noticed that the WCF/WF project did not have this option in VS08 RTM.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:29 PM

All replies

• create a new wcf service project in vs 2008 sp1

hit F5, and you should have a wizard start..

Hope this helps you out

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Well, hitting F5 only gives the "Test Client", not a "Hosting Wizard". I don't think this is what the "New Hosting Wizard" is...i think this was around before I installed all the SP1 stuff. Seems like it should be a wizard that let's you setup a project to host your service...not an in-proc host for debugging. Could be wrong though as there is absolutely no clarification on what this "New Hosting Wizard" is.

Thanks for the info!

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Have you tried the Visual Studio forums?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:31 PM
  • I'll try that, thanks.

Monday, July 7, 2008 3:06 PM
  • I found the answer to your question in my local MSDN, but could not find it online. You access the hosting wizard by selecting your WCF project in the Solution Explorer, then selecting Build->Publish. This is only intended for WCF services that will be hosted in IIS. Basically, it will create a web site and put your service library in the Bin folder, create a .SVC file that points to it and a web.config for you.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:44 AM
  • the wizard is located in the "build" menu. It's called "Publish ProjectName".

The wizard itself is a copy of the ASp.Net deplyment feature, which has been available for some time now. You might not have noticed that the WCF/WF project did not have this option in VS08 RTM.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:29 PM
  • If you need a visual studio hosting, you can check some information on this page
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:11 PM