none
Microsoft and ICE? RRS feed

• Question

• Is Microsoft really working with ICE?  

That would be a TERRIBLE business decision - it would make me (for one) look for other products for all my uses.

Please tell me it isn't so.

Birrell Walsh

Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:33 PM

All replies

• Microsoft would lose much business if they explicitly chose to not provide data processing support for ICE, They are a legitimate and legal entity of our government.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, July 6, 2018 7:32 PM
  • It is true that ICE is a legal entity of our government.  Well said.

So were the structures of apartheid in South Africa - quite legal.  I would question whether they were legitimate, which is a larger moral question.  And I think the same is true of what ICE is being asked to do at this point.  

To the degree that MS does business with them, MS will be associated with them in the inevitable reaction.  And among the reactors will be overseas customers (as happened with the companies supporting apartheid) who will look at the association and say "Hmmm - maybe we will use another product, another operating system."

So it seems to me, at least.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 12:18 AM
  • The think to do is to change the law. If a majority of people don't want ICE then eliminate them that way, the right way. If the majority of people want ICE then stop complaining about the people enforcing the will of the people. Unfortunately too many people expect the laws to be enforced in the manner they say they should be enforced without a vote, just their opinion that they are convinced is the only right way.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, July 7, 2018 1:24 AM
  • Actions like this - creating or even just noting a cost of bad behavior - is part of the way we change the law.  It worked that way in South Africa.  Sanctions are powerful.

And the problem isn't ICE, it is the way it is being used.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:29 AM
  • There is absolutely no law saying we must do anything like that to change the law. Regardless of that, it is the only part that is being done. Very many people want everyone to stop protesting the law and start changing the law and protests such as you describe is just the protest part.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, July 7, 2018 4:36 PM