locked
No Access for Users to a Imported Site RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am using a 2013 site that was upgraded from 2010. I needed to copy/move some sub sites that were originally created on SP 2010 as Work Spaces (template MPS#0) to a new content database. So I exported the sites using the PowerShell command

    Export-SPWeb SiteUrl -Path ExportURL -IncludeUserSecurity
    Then used,
    Import-SPWeb SiteUrl -Path urlPath -IncludeUserSecurity

    This all worked just fine and being the site admin I can access the newly imported sites with no issues. But anyone with the Contribute permission level gets the "Sorry, you don't have access to this site" error.

    Other preparations I made prior to importing the new sites.

    1. Created the subsites on the new content database using, New-SPWeb SiteURL -Name SubSite Name.  Note: I did not provide a template
    2. I made sure that the Site Features on the new site matched those of the old site.
    3. I made sure that all custom columns from the old site were in the new site.
    4. All permissions are in place, when I check the users that can't access the new sites, it shows they have Contribute access to all sites. They can access the new site on the content database just not the sub sites made with the PowerShell commands above. And they can access any sites I manually create.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:35 PM

Answers

All replies

  • do you have unique permission? does the user has permission on the root level site( where u restored sub-site)?


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 9:03 PM
  • Hello Mark,

    According to your description, the users with enough permission cannot access to the newly upgraded site.

    Per my search, it may related to this.

    When we migrate the content DB to 2013, it recognizes the user account only in this format i:0#.w|domain\username . Though it’s an AD account it no more recognizes the Domain\UserName format.

    http://www.winwire.com/access-denied-error-after-migrating-to-sharepoint-2013/

    Best Regards,

    CY


    TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Moving from Site Collection to Site Collection normally trashes metadata and security. The IncludeUserSecurity parameter is better than nothing but I wouldn't trust it or rely on it for any move except within a site collection.

    Chris's suggestion of Claims to Classic sounds probable, if you haven't finished performing your upgrade then it's a common situation to get into. The symptoms are similar to yours as the users will be listed with the non claims ID, so when you search it seems like it works, but when they log into it they'll be using the claims ID which has no permissions at all.

    Thursday, June 2, 2016 8:10 AM
  • HI CY,

    Thanks for your reply. To clarify, our site was upgraded to SP 2013 last summer of 2015. Just recently we decided to move some sub sites over to a new content database to free up space on the first one. The sub sites we are moving were originally created when we were on SP 2010. Do you think the classic to claims is still the issue?

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Monday, June 6, 2016 3:26 PM
    1. Are the content databases attached to the same web application?
    2. Were either of the databases moved over as part of the migration or are they new?
    3. If you create a new site collection in the current database, then import the sub site underneath it, does that work? If not then it will never work in a new database.

    It sounds like you're trying to do something that is doomed to failure, moving from one site collection to another won't work perfectly after all. On the other hand there are levels of failure and it's highly possible that you are hitting extra issues because some content is partially upgraded.

    Monday, June 6, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Alex,

    Thanks for the input!

    1. Yes the databases are attached to the same web application.

    2. Our main portal database was upgraded from 2010 to 2013 the summer of 2015, but the new content database was created after the upgrade.

    3. I will try this and get back to you.

    Do you know of any way to move content from one database to another successfully? Our issue is that our main database is growing very large and we want to segment it off to smaller pieces e.g. databases.

    Thanks again!

    Mark

    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:44 PM
  • i am thinking, more about your classic to claims issue. make sure migrate user successfully completed.

    You can move out a site collection from one content db to other. use the move-spsite command.


    Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Alex,

    In regard to #3, no it did not work under a new site collection either! So back to the drawing board for me.

    Thanks again for everyone's input on this!

    Mark

    Monday, June 20, 2016 12:47 PM