Manually Backup Web App & Compare RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement I want to automate with powershell:-

• Take a manual backup of the files in an azure web app before a deployment, be it via an azure backup or file transfer, it may be a full backup or subset of specific files. 
    • Pull down a local copy of the backup for later reference
    • Execute a deployment e.g. file changes etc. via a third party product
    • Pull down a local copy of the newly deployed files, post transform for validation against the backup
    • Compare files in both file sets (using CRC?)

I was hoping this would be a common requirement, but having read around things now I'm starting to think I'm approaching it in the wrong manner. 

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 3:39 PM

All replies

• We're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A as our new forums and Azure Web apps has already made the move!  In future, you can ask and look for the discussion for Azure Web apps related questions here.

We are actively working to onboard remaining Azure services on Microsoft Q&A. We will make a public announcement once complete. Want to Learn more about new platform: Microsoft Q&A Getting Started
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:43 AM
  • You could leverage the Backup and Restore feature in Azure App Service, you don’t want to download the backup copy every time and compare – With this feature - it lets you easily create app backups manually (when deployment kicks-in) or on a schedule (as per your requirement). You can configure the backups to be retained up to an indefinite amount of time. You can restore the app to a snapshot of a previous state by overwriting the existing app or restoring to another app.
    But, note that
    each backup is a complete offline copy of your app, not an incremental update.

You can accomplish above task via PowerShell .  Please checkout the document for more details on the process: Back up a web app using PowerShell - https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/app-service/scripts/powershell-backup-onetime for an automated approach.

Based on your requirement, you could also use deployment slot - slots are live apps with their own host names. App content and configurations elements can be swapped between two deployment slots, including the production slot. With this feature - You can validate app changes in a staging deployment slot before swapping it with the production slot.

Kindly checkout this document for more details on this topic- https://docs.microsoft.com/azure/app-service/deploy-staging-slots

-
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Karishma mentioned, we're migrating from MSDN to Microsoft Q&A. Since this thread did not land in the right forum it would be moved to the appropriate forum. 
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 12:51 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 10:30 AM
  • @FNK0ID, Just checking in to see if the above post helped answer your question. Kindly let us know if you have any further questions on this specific topic, we would be more than happy to assist you.

Please do mark the post which was helpful by clicking on ‘Accept Answer’ & ‘Up-Vote’ to help the community find the right answers.

Friday, April 3, 2020 6:44 PM