What happens to users when a wp7 application is upgraded to wp8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I already have an application developed and published for Wp7.

I´m planning to publish a new version for wp8. I've managed to add new version to previous one but for wp8, but now I get this warning before publish it:

Submission warnings

The currently published XAP will be unpublished and removed from the Store when this update is applied.

What it really means? Are users going to loose its data?

WP7 version will continue existing?

Thanks

no where man

Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• Well I think that wp7 app still working on wp8 and you don't need to update anything unless you need to change your app or to add new features
    Which is correct.  If you do want to support new WP8 features and still support your existing WP7 users, you use "Add New" instead of "Update".
    Monday, December 3, 2012 10:07 AM

All replies

• You should have selected "Add New" instead of "Update".  "Add New" is intended to add new XAPs to an app to support multiple OS versions, like WP7 and WP8.

As the warning states, the app will no longer be available to WP7 users when the update is published.  Current users will still be able to use the app they have installed, but they will not be able to re-install if required later on.

Monday, December 3, 2012 2:21 AM
  • Well I think that wp7 app still working on wp8 and you don't need to update anything unless you need to change your app or to add new features
    Monday, December 3, 2012 9:45 AM
    Which is correct.  If you do want to support new WP8 features and still support your existing WP7 users, you use "Add New" instead of "Update".
    Monday, December 3, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Well, I've just removed my submittion and I started again (to make sure I clicked "Add new"), and the result is the same, it gives me same warning.

Then I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong:

1.- I want existing wp7 users continue downloading and using my application.

2.- For current wp8 users, with already have wp7 version installed on its mobile. They should be able to upgrade its version with new one, but without loosing any data. 

no where man

Monday, December 3, 2012 10:31 PM
  • @No Where:

I'm there too.  If I select add new, will my people who purchased the wp7 app on a wp8 be able to upgrade to my wp8 app without having to pay again?

"MC"

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:14 PM
  • I hope so, I submitted my application this morning. I will inform you

no where man

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:56 PM
  • It's just to confirm that works as expected, but it takes

a long time. I mean that user with wp7 application on a wp8 mobile, it will receive wp8 version onces market caches updated

no where man
    http://www.nowhereman.eu

• Proposed as answer by Tobore Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:41 AM
  • Yes.  It worked for me too.  Thanks.

"MC"

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Hi

I have the same issue. I have a app that is avaialble for Windows Phone 7.0 and 7.1

After I update to WP8 I want that the WP7.0/WP7.1 users still should be able to download the app (I might also update the old versions)

I want the users with windows phone 8 who installed the 7.1 version to get the update.

To do this I just need to select "Add new" in the screenshot below?

Does this look correct?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Yes, add new

no where man
    http://www.nowhereman.eu

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Looks like this now. This is correct right?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:46 PM
  • I have the same problem like you had. I uploading new xap file with WP8 support. Earlier I had only WP7 app version. 

What I want is:

"1.- I want existing wp7 users continue downloading and using my application.

2.- For current wp8 users, with already have wp7 version installed on its mobile. They should be able to upgrade its version with new one, but without loosing any data. " - preserved IsolatedStorage.

How you achieved this? Is this by default?

Thanks in advance

Artur Jankowski

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:39 PM