none
I need some help. Need VBA Macro that will export MS Project data to MS Access and also Pull Data from MS Access when ready RRS feed

• Question

• I have a online access database that has quite a bit of schedule data.  I have a MS Project schedule that has similar data.  They don't talk with each other.  I want to export data from the MS Project file into an access database (Say "Working DB"), compare it to what is in the current database, the user would select which data is correct and/or manually enter the data, then once completed, take that data and import it back into the MS Project.

The data is quite simple.  Start, Finish, Baseline Start, Baseline Finish at this point.  Projects are categorized by Division.  Each Project has a common set of 6 different activities.  There are about 400 projects.

Any suggestions on how to get this done?  I am wiling to get some help on doing this task as long as I understand what is being done so I can troubleshoot any problems.  

I would assume there is code already written for this but likely need it customized by someone.

Thanks.

jeffc@cpmservices.com

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• This is simple to do on the surface, but the devil is in the details. I doubt if it's less than 5-10 days for an experienced developer (like what I am ;-) )

With 400 projects there are going to be many, many different gotchas and different ways data needs to be shared and massaged. So your solution will definitely require training and processes in addition to the macro.

Given the value of the data, you will need a thorough design process and brainstorm of all possible scenarios and ways to handle wayward data (EG data in the past that is incomplete and does not match what actually happened).

We'll be delighted to help solve any small technical problems you may get, but asking anyone to do a couple of weeks work for free, just quietly, isn't likely to be too successful!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:23 AM

All replies

• This is simple to do on the surface, but the devil is in the details. I doubt if it's less than 5-10 days for an experienced developer (like what I am ;-) )

With 400 projects there are going to be many, many different gotchas and different ways data needs to be shared and massaged. So your solution will definitely require training and processes in addition to the macro.

Given the value of the data, you will need a thorough design process and brainstorm of all possible scenarios and ways to handle wayward data (EG data in the past that is incomplete and does not match what actually happened).

We'll be delighted to help solve any small technical problems you may get, but asking anyone to do a couple of weeks work for free, just quietly, isn't likely to be too successful!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Okay, not asking for anything free here and will hire someone to develop the raw code I require.  I understand the devil is in the details.  However, I need an access application that 1) reflect the actual information in the MS Project File.  The other file I need in MS Access is a place for which to compare what is in the Online Access Database to the MS Project Database and provide a resolution screen to pick which one is right or a place to manually enter the data.  This would be a three column scenario.  I can send a "cartoon" of what I am looking for.  I assume this is Pulled and Pushed from MS Project/access VBA script.  I can feed the produced file that imports the data that is required.

I can send you the requirements.  What is the hourly consult rate?  I would be happy to pay someone for a couple hours to take a look at my requirements to produce an expected Level of Effort to accomplish the basic task.

Who would be interested in doing such a thing?  Please e-mail me directly at jeffc@cpmservices.com

Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:05 AM