Azure Premium Disk IOPS vs AWS IOPS SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to do a cost comparison for a 500GB disk with highest IOPS possible between Azure and AWS. In AWS i'm able to build a disk and set the IOPs to 50:1 per GB which in this case will be 25000 IOPs. IN Azure I see that I can select a P20 which is 512GB but only offers 2300 max IOPS. What am I missing? I want to make sure I'm doing a fair comparison between the 2 clouds so I'm not sure how to get the IOPS to match between the 2 clouds.
    • Edited by Charlie_18 Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:10 PM

All replies

• You are comparing AWS IO1 storage which has programmable IOPS rates with Azure Premium Storage which does not.  AWS IO1 is the only programmable IOPS storage. if you look at AWS other storage products: GP2, ST1, SC1, they don't have that feature; neither, does Google. Azure doesn't currently have a storage product with programable IOPS.  You need to go with a larger size on Azure or lower IOPS.  Those are the only choices at this time.  (Azure is no different than AWS GP2 or Googles Persistent SSD storage in this regard.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

• Proposed as answer by Sandeep BR Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above suggestions helped or you need further assistance on this issue.  If that answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same.

Friday, September 14, 2018 5:22 PM