Implementing a BPM solution quickly RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,
    For some small research, I need to evaluate the impact of BPM over organizations IT. I'm familiar with BPM business theory and all the corresponding BPMS technologies. I think my best way to go is to implement some small BPM software example in some organization; this should be a small project/module which will clear out the benefits of BPMs. By saying BPMS i mean - a system with workflow tools (design processes, record prcesses data , etc.), process visibility features, process reporting features, process monitoring features and so on and so forth.

There won't be a budget for expensive systems (such as Dynamic CRM workflow, SharePoint workflow, Ultimus, etc.).  Any idea how to get started quick and fast? Is there any decent BPM open source project? Do you recommend using WF and add some BPM features (such as reports, process improvement, etc.)? Any tip or resources will be helpful. Thanks.

Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:37 PM

Answers

• If you want a .NET based solution, your production application would be well served by using BizTalk Server (although not a full featured BPM) it provides many features you need for a OOTB BPM.  For a free solution WF certainly can fill the gap, but you have to hand code most of the features as you mentioned.  Intalio is a respectable open source BPM that I have played around with and has decent acceptance from bpm thought leaders like bruce silver.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:02 AM

All replies

• If you want a .NET based solution, your production application would be well served by using BizTalk Server (although not a full featured BPM) it provides many features you need for a OOTB BPM.  For a free solution WF certainly can fill the gap, but you have to hand code most of the features as you mentioned.  Intalio is a respectable open source BPM that I have played around with and has decent acceptance from bpm thought leaders like bruce silver.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:02 AM
  • I wish there were any decent .NET BPM solution, unfortunately the JAVA/LINUX world enjoys all the worthy projects...

Anyway, your answer was really helpful, thanks.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Take a look at MetaStorm if you are willing to pay for a .NET based fully featured BPM.

I didnt suggest metastorm originally because I thought you wanted a open source.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I tend to disagree. I have met more .Net BPM successfull implemetations than Java/Linux implemetations.

PNMsoft, K2 and Metastorm  all have microsoft-based solutions that are used in world-wide organisations

Ruth.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Ruth,
    I was referring to open source/free projects. I'll be also satisfied with some free light version, an evaluation version, but none of the above offer something like this.

There is a place for commercial products in large wealth projects. In other smaller projects, it's usually not profitable to offer some third party product such as BPMS system. Those products usually cut off thousands of dollars from the project budget. It would have been fantastic if i could use free project like Intalio BPM and implement it for my customers.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:15 PM