What happens to Expression Gallery Samples in the future? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Expression Community Site Team,

first of all, I would like to thank you for your work on the Expression Community in the past. The Expression Community has been a great place in order to learn, to discuss, to become inspired and to provide content to the community people. Being part of the Expression Community has been real fun!

My questions:

1) What happens to the Expression Gallery samples which I published to the Expression Gallery in the future?

2) And what happens to the achievements I got for my Expression Gallery contributions?

3) How do I make sure that the links to my and to other Gallery Contributions don't get broken in future? (I wrote several blog posts including links to my and to other contributions.)

I know, this forum here isn't the right place but I didn't found the correct forum to ask this question or any information on that topic.

Regards,

Martin

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:46 AM

All replies

• *Poof*

They go away. :( 

Is my understanding.

~Christine

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hello Christine, hello Expression Community,

today I received this E-Mail, subjected as "Alert Notification" (sorry, but this sounds a bit like an error message *smile*):

"A note about the Expression
    Gallery

You are receiving this note because you are
    shown as an owner of one or more projects in the Expression Gallery.  As
    noted on the Expression Gallery home page, on February 14th, 2013 the Expression
    Gallery was locked, and new contributions will no longer be accepted. On March
    7th, 2013, the Expression Gallery will be shut down. The MSDN and Visual Studio
    galleries are available for posting future items.

At your earliest convenience, please retrieve
    any project files that you wish to retain from the Expression Gallery, as they
    will no longer be accessible after March 7<sup>th</sup>; you are welcome to
    resubmit them to the Visual Studio or MSDN galleries

Thanks for your attention."

So, to get this clear: No migration. My comment: No comment; this notification speeks for itself. Simply disappointing.

However: I guess I will mirror all the stuff I contributed at my blog, or maybe a new blog for the old stuff (funny hey).

But what about the achievements? Also gone? I hope not.

Regards,

Martin

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:14 PM
  • I hope the content will be moved to another platform, perhaps a VS site!

Where should Expression users get there information in the future?

Friedhelm

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Hello Friedhelm,

first, your firstname sounds quite german. I'm from Hamburg, Germany.

Concerning my contributions, I guess I'm going to re-publish most of them to the Visual Studio Gallery. But this will take a lot of work, because I contributed about 80 samples to the Expression Gallery. But however ... quite a lot of them were I guess helpful and maybe inspiring to the Community, so it's worth the effort.

Regards,

Martin

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:59 PM
  • You may well find, as I did, that the Visual Studio Gallery (and MSDN Gallery) won't accept the file types you need to upload for you samples.

The TechNet Gallery apparently does accept most file types and it's been suggested that this is the best place for Expression smaples etc.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Hello Ian,

thanks for the information. Didn't knew that. Which file types aren't accepted from VS Gallery and MSDN Gallery.

Regards,

Martin

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:41 PM