UpdateDatabase.vbs to update BizTalkMgMt references RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 6 BizTalk servers in 1 BizTalk Group. I need to restore the database backup of BizTalkMgMtDb to a new server, containing 1 BizTalk server in a group.

Can this be done using SampleUpdateInfo.xml and D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010\Bins32\Schema\Restore\UpdateDatabase.vbs - to update the BizTalkMgMTDB to point to the 1 new server, i.e. replacing 6 Source BizTalk servers with 1 BizTalk server.

Regards,

Sharmishtha

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Sharmistha

The database backup and recovery process that uses the SampleUpdateInfo.xml is meant for scenarios where the database server/location changes. The set of steps outlined in the DR process updates the DB details/location in both the BizTalk databases and the BizTalk application servers.

But, in your case, the application server will change as well and it is not identical to the BizTalk Group you are taking the backup from. As far as I remember, the MgmtDb contains references to the BizTalk application server names, which you will have no way of changing by using the supported DR process that uses the SampleUpdateInfo.xml file.

So, I doubt if this approach will work and unpredictability is a very real possibility. 

Why do you need to restore the MgmtDb to the new single-server Group? It will be probably easier to create a new BizTalk environment/Group afresh using the BizTalk Configuration Wizard.

If you need to migrate apps/configs from the old Group, you can do that separately post configuration.

Thanks Arindam

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 11:56 AM