none
What is the difference between the way Outlook calls TAPI and the way that I can call TAPI from a .NET program? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a contact management program that dials the phone via TAPI.  Once TAPI starts dialing the phone, one or more windows pop up in the upper left part of the screen telling the user what is happening, and showing the number dialed along with the name of the person (all supplied in the call to TAPI).

When Outlook dials the phone, it apparently does not pop up these windows, even though it appears to be using TAPI.  We have some users that are asking why we can't dial the phone like Outlook does, and get rid of these annoying windows.

Any ideas?

mdpowers

Monday, March 11, 2013 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Mdpowers,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult your issue with my colleague. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:45 AM
  • You can refer the related article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841712. Based on that TAPI is not supported from managed code due to the complexity of TAPI 3.x Component Object Model (COM) interface, the managed wrapper that is created by Microsoft Visual Studio .NET does not work.

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:32 PM
  • I am calling TAPI (however it is occurring in the depths of the interop assemblies I have no idea), and have been for a long time.  Saying that TAPI is not supported from managed code is not correct.  It happens.

mdpowers

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:44 PM