Powerpivot Bug: losing connection while edit SQL-query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I rather disappointed by PowerPivot (PP) for XL2013. One more bug.

I loaded data to PP from MySQL. Then if I want to change SQL-query I as usual open Table Properties window. 

If I change SQL-query not so fast (approximately more than 20-60 seconds) I constantly get connection error.

The ONLY solution is copy to buffer updated SQL-query, close Table Properties window, reopen it, quickly paste new SQL-query and run it.

Please see screen-shot below:

Friday, June 27, 2014 10:48 AM

Answers

• Paul, I think this is a bug.  I posted this entry that may be related ... here.

Once I get my Excel Feedback button enabled I'll report it to the development team.  In the meantime, I believe you'll find that if you re-edit your Connection and check the "Save my password..." option you'll be able to edit and save your query.

• Edited by Mark Weisman Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:18 PM

All replies

• Does anybody have any ideas for Paul?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for your questions. It is too early to say this issue is a bug/known issue.

Could you please help to collect the following information? They're might be useful for us to investigate this issue.

• Are you use Excel 2013 32bit or 64 bit version?
    • Are you connect to MySQL Server remotely or locally? If you connect to MySQL remotely, I would suggest you check the network.
    • Can you reproduce this issue while import data from MySQL data source by using other work PC?

Finally, you can try to uninstall and reinstall Excel 2013 to see if this helps.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

Regarding to your questions:

(1) I use PP x64 for XL2013 x64

(2) I connect to remote MySQL server via OpenVPN plus MySQL ODBC connector.

The same configuration was on PP x64 for XL2010 and there were no any issues.

That's why I guess it is XL2013 bug.

(3) Yes it happened to me in two my notebooks with Win 7 and Win 8.1 with two different versions of MySQL ODBC connector.

(4) Last time I used fresh installation of Office 365 Pro Plus. Before that it was MSI Office Professional Plus 2013 without and with SP1.

-- Paul

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:29 PM
  • If it's XL2013, can you submit the bug via the Smile/Frown feedback button in the UI?
    Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:27 PM
  • Hi Elvis,

Regarding to your questions:

(1) I use PP x64 for XL2013 x64

(2) I connect to remote MySQL server via OpenVPN plus MySQL ODBC connector.

The same configuration was on PP x64 for XL2010 and there were no any issues.

That's why I guess it is XL2013 bug.

(3) Yes it happened to me in two my notebooks with Win 7 and Win 8.1 with two different versions of MySQL ODBC connector.

(4) Last time I used fresh installation of Office 365 Pro Plus. Before that it was MSI Office Professional Plus 2013 without and with SP1.

-- Paul

Thanks for your quickly response.

What's the version of the MySQL ODBC connector? Please try to install the latest version of MySQL ODBC connector, we can download it from: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

If you're already use the latest version of MySQL ODBC connector, I would suggest you open a Microsoft ticket for forum limit. Thanks for your understanding.
    Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS): http://support.microsoft.com

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:29 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

Thank you for a try.

Actually link which you suggested me is place from where I downloaded MySQL ODBC connector.

I regularly updated connector and now Im using latest version 5.3.2

--Paul

Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:44 AM
  • Anybody have another suggestion for Paul?

Thanks!

Friday, July 11, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Paul, I think this is a bug.  I posted this entry that may be related ... here.

Once I get my Excel Feedback button enabled I'll report it to the development team.  In the meantime, I believe you'll find that if you re-edit your Connection and check the "Save my password..." option you'll be able to edit and save your query.

• Edited by Mark Weisman Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:18 PM