Failed to start monitoring changes RRS feed

• Question

• i'm not sure if this problem belong to this forum, but it started only after a start to use visual studio express (web developer).

when i try to build a website i get the folowing error:

"Error 1 An error occurred loading a configuration file: Failed to start monitoring changes to 'Z:\lina\a\pics' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform. Z:\lina\a\pics\web.config "

"Z:" is a network drive located on difrrent computer.

i read the knowledge base article 810886 and i change all the registry values to the maximum, but still, the error stays.

please help.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi!

If you've got multiple people working on the same project, or multiple computers, I'd suggest using Visual Source Safe or something similar, as that'll protect from changes getting munged from one computer to another.

The other option could be to open the application via FrontPage server extensions, instead of via the file system.  That will work for the most part, though if your server is Windows XP, you're only allowed 10 connections, and you'll likely run into problems with that.

The best place for asking ASP.NET questions is on the ASP.NET community site, and in the forums there. Check out http://www.asp.net/welcome.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=39.

HTH,

PEte

Saturday, March 11, 2006 2:33 AM

All replies

• I don't think the KB article is going to solve your problem. Have a look at the last sentence of error message:

Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.

Have you tried moving the files to a local drive and seeing if that works?
    Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:01 PM
  • it works perfectly on a local drive, but i have to use it on a network drive (3 diffrent computers working on the same project).
    is there any setting change i can do that will let me build project locate on a network drive?
    Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:49 AM
  • and i'm not sure the problem is with "Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform" becaouse some of my project, the small onces, can be build from a network drive.
    Thursday, November 17, 2005 10:35 AM
  • Is developing of a Project residiing on other machine impossible at all ?

( what is a "small once" ? )

Friday, March 10, 2006 2:18 PM
  • Hi!

If you've got multiple people working on the same project, or multiple computers, I'd suggest using Visual Source Safe or something similar, as that'll protect from changes getting munged from one computer to another.

The other option could be to open the application via FrontPage server extensions, instead of via the file system.  That will work for the most part, though if your server is Windows XP, you're only allowed 10 connections, and you'll likely run into problems with that.

The best place for asking ASP.NET questions is on the ASP.NET community site, and in the forums there. Check out http://www.asp.net/welcome.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=39.

HTH,

PEte

Saturday, March 11, 2006 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

I'm surprised by your interest.

Our server is Novell Netware.

We was developing projects with fileserver and it was OK ( with Borland ).

It was unexpected to read this error message after opening project in Visual Studio...

Martin

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:27 AM
  • Hello,

The company i work for has bought the entire Visual team System Solution Which means many Visual Studio 2008 Professional and Microsoft Team Fundation Server. We dont want to save the data( sources, proyect, etc.) on the developers notebooks and PCs.  We have created a script which maps a network disck for every user. Nevertheless, we are experiencing the same problem described above. Does Microsoft takes the responsability for this massive bug? Is there any way to solve the problem.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:37 PM
  • I too wonder why Microsoft has not taken a more pro-active approach to fixing this extremely annoying bug. For about 98% of the time I can "sort of" get around this bug by deploying to a folder on my local C: drive, then copying the deployed files out to the web server.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Sorry for the glib response, I really wish I could help:

Microsoft will make more money selling something than they will fixing something. Notice most looking for a solution are already locked in to Microsoft. 

Such is the world in which we live with AIG, BP, Microsoft, Walmat... 

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:47 AM
  • I had the error

"Failed to start monitoring changes to <network drive> because the network bios command limit has been reached"

and spent a day browsing the web looking for a fix until I found this kb:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911272

The key didn't exist for me, but I created it and set the DWORD value to 1, while it also worked for someone else who set it to 2

The suggestions to use VSS or to move the solution to a local drive wouldn't work because my company stores all software on this network share and I'm the only one working on the solution at any given time.

I hope this solution works for anyone else who may come across the same annoying problem.

• Proposed as answer by ProcessorHog Monday, July 11, 2011 8:12 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Thank you SO MUCH, VBoston. I checked the KB article that was in the event log message and my values were maxed out already. I don't really need file change notifications - the files are served out by IIS the way they are, and that's all I care about. They should have file change notifications OFF by default for virtual directories......
    Monday, July 11, 2011 8:22 PM