Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072EFE while obtaining developer license on win 8.1 Pro and Enterprise edition

Question

• Hi,

I have followed below produce to obtain developer license

- Open Powershell shell as administrator

Run "show-windowsdeveloperlicenseregistration

- I get below error  

We couldn't get your developer license for windows8.1

: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072EFE
    At line:1 char:1
    + show-windowsdeveloperlicenseregistration
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration], COMException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AcquireDeveloperLicenseException,Microsoft.Windows.DeveloperLicense.Commands.ShowWindows
       DeveloperLicenseRegistrationCommand"

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:12 AM

Answers

• If you cannot open any store app then there may be something wrong with the system or system configuration. Please ask about that on the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com . I expect that fixing that root problem will also fix the problem acquiring the developer license.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:43 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Priyankak,

0x80072EFE is WININET_E_CONNECTION_ABORTED . This suggests that your system isn't able to maintain a connection to the license server. Can you double check that your network is working correctly. Are you going through a firewall or proxy server that could be interfering?

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:04 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

I did a check and my network is working,I am not going through firewall or proxy server.

Another issue I am having is I can't open store app - it gives message "Your PC isn't connected to the Internet. To use the store,connect to the Internet and then try again"

My PC is connected to the Internet and I can open other store apps,google,gmail ,etc

I have tried below workaround

- Click on Try again in the message

-Check if system date and time is correct

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:03 AM
  • If you cannot open any store app then there may be something wrong with the system or system configuration. Please ask about that on the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com . I expect that fixing that root problem will also fix the problem acquiring the developer license.

--Rob

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:43 AM
    Owner