none
permission from administrators required when deleting from desktop even when user is an administrator RRS feed

• Question

• Appears that when trying to delete from a desktop = I suspect this may have something to do with the profile =  the user, although an administrator, when trying to delete a file from the desktop, receives a message from the operating system stating "You need permission to perform this action"  You require permission from the Administrators to make changes to this file.

A few things about the file:

1) I just now saved it to the desktop

2) I am in the administrators group on this particular machine

3) Windows 10 Enterprise running on a Windows 2016 domain (Business Essentials) recent upgrade

Strange - when I setup the machine, it asked a question about inheriting from the domain profile.  Not exactly in those words - I don't remember exactly - only that I responded quickly and immediately regretted the response.  Now, if I write to the desktop - file, folder, anything - there is no permission to remove the file.   Normally I wouldn't mind but part of upgrading was to put a 128 GIG SSD as the C:\ drive and if this keeps up, I will run out of space and have to wipe my machine - definitely not something I desire.

Any help welcome.  

Problem again is - I am not given any permission to remove files from my desktop.  They are greeted with an error that I am not an administrator though I am in the administrators group on the machine.

Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Administrators

Additional information:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Tried to run the following based on a link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/unable-to-delete-desktop-files-windows-10/7492e319-645b-4516-b325-03b6d688e751

RESULTS:

At line:1 char:95 + ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Says: close Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.

Says: close Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.17134.112_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2tx

Says: 

The package could not be installed because resources it modifies 
    are currently in use.
    error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed 
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

The first and third are rather strange.  I didn't enable Cortana.  Does Cortana have to be enabled?  I surely do not want to enable Cortana.

R, J

• Edited by Crakdkorn Sunday, December 23, 2018 12:11 AM
    Sunday, December 23, 2018 12:00 AM

All replies

• that prompt comes for an administrator account, when the only permissions you have to something is because you're a member of the administrators group. To test this I'd create a test folder and grant myself explicit permissions on that folder (and removing inheritance), and drop files in it, and compare that to a different folder that you didn't adjust the permissions on. You should find the first file gets deleted without prompt, the second one will request elevation.

Getting yourself out of that might be a bit tougher as we don't know what you did when you "inherited from the domain profile". But if you can show it's just permissions, then you can adjust permissions and it's probably good enough? 

Monday, August 19, 2019 6:17 AM