EWS Managed API RRS feed

• Question

• This may be a silly question, but I'm a noob with EWS and am getting acclimated really fast: is it possible to use the EWS Managed API 2.0 with Mail Apps?  Or are we restricted to using Mailbox.makeEwsRequestAsync and the limited set or supported EWS operations?

If the latter, is the key difference with Mail App EWS dev vs. more "open" Exchange dev APIs the lack of proxy classes? The requirement to use typed XML requests for EWS methods in code is seriously a PITA.  (see my other post on my challenge of just getting ChangeKey for an e-mail for use with a GetItem call to get the full message body)

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:43 PM

Answers

• I dont really know much about full EWS AI, but so far i had no problems creating reuqests via makeEwsRequestAsync . Some stuff is missing, but you can more or less do anything (except for deleting items and maybe getting some user specifics).

Here is the list of all the methods that can be called by makeEwsRequestAsync http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161087.aspx .

If you want to have some code behind, that would authenticate against the Exchange server and then use the full API, i think you wont be able to do that. As far as i saw, you can only get a temporary token which can be used to get user id from exchange (if you maybe want to link it with 3rd party authentication -> link exchange user id with lets say Facebook id).

I think that if you would want to have a web service somewhere, which would use full EWS API, you would need to have the authentication there.

Anze Javornik

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:18 PM

All replies

• I dont really know much about full EWS AI, but so far i had no problems creating reuqests via makeEwsRequestAsync . Some stuff is missing, but you can more or less do anything (except for deleting items and maybe getting some user specifics).

Here is the list of all the methods that can be called by makeEwsRequestAsync http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fp161087.aspx .

If you want to have some code behind, that would authenticate against the Exchange server and then use the full API, i think you wont be able to do that. As far as i saw, you can only get a temporary token which can be used to get user id from exchange (if you maybe want to link it with 3rd party authentication -> link exchange user id with lets say Facebook id).

I think that if you would want to have a web service somewhere, which would use full EWS API, you would need to have the authentication there.

Anze Javornik

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Thanks Anze. It would be interesting to know for sure if it is possible to use the full EWS API.  If so, a white paper would be in order!  :-)

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:29 PM
  • If you would have username and password fields inside your mail app and use that to authenticate your web services to Exchange server, i dont think there should be any problems. But from usability point of view, this would probably be a disaster (i dont think anyone would write username and password in the mail app).

I think it would be a far better solution if MS decided to open full API by adding another permission level above Read/Write .

Anze Javornik

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:42 PM