Problem with Runtime in .Net 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an Windows Application in VB.Net 2005. I have deployed this application on a machine where I had installed the .Net Framework and then deployed the application. The application worked well for about 5 days. Then suddenly on starting the application the user gets this error - "Unable to find a runtime version to run this application"

We then uninstall the application and the Framework and then reinstall both. After this it works fine. But on the next reboot the same problem occurs.

Does any one know why this problem occurs and how to get rid of it!. Please help!!! Urgent

Regards

Vineed

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Vineed,

Sounds like an exception, so could you please try to get more detailed information of the exception and post here? You can use a debugger.

After that, please post its stack trace, and inner exception here.

Thanks!

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your time. The error message I get is not an exception. That is whenever we get an unhandled exception we get a Messagebox with the "Continue" and "Quit" buttons and showing further details of the exception. But here I just get a Messagebox with the error I had stated above and I get an OK button. I do not get an exception stack trace or inner exception.

Also, the same application has been installed on another machine where it is working fine. Only this machine is having the problem. It seems that the application is not able to find the .Net Runtime for execution. Don't know why?

However Thanks for your time again....

Regards

Vineed

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Hi Vineed,

I think there’s some problem with the .net framework installation in that machine. To fix the this issue, please try the following steps:

1.       Download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and choose to clean up the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on your system

2.       Download and install the version of the .NET Framework that you cleaned up in step 1 (such as the .NET Framework 1.0, .NET Framework 1.1 or .NET Framework 2.0)

3.       (optional) Download and run the .NET Framework verification tool to double-check that all .NET Framework files are correctly installed

4.       Download and install the desired .NET Framework service pack (such as .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 or .NET Framework 1.1 SP1) by running the setup package directly instead of using Windows Update.  Running it directly will allow the service pack setup to display error dialogs instead of having Windows Update suppress them.

For more details, please visit What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your time and effort. I will try the steps you have mentioned shortly.

Thanks  again

Regards

Vineed

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

Tried the solution you had mentioned but it did not work.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Vineed

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:33 AM
  • Hi Vineed,

I am getting the same error, and not finding the solution. did u got the solution. pls let me know if u got the solution.

Thanks

Nikhil Jain
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Hi Nikhil,

Well actually I did not find any sure shot solution for the problem. However I found a few things that helped me in some cases.

1. In one of the machines where I faced this problem, there was a problem in the System Registry. Some how after every shutdown we found that some entries in the registry went for a toss ( I actually do not  remember what those entries were). So we ran System Repair on that machine, and the problem was solved for few months (it later came again - same solution)

2. In another machine we found that it was a virus that was causing this problem. We ran an anti-virus on the system in safe-mode, removed the viruses we found. Then we unistalled the application as well as .Net Framework and reinstalled them again. After that the problem was solved.

3. In some cases, the solutions mentioned above by Feng Chen was really handy and solved the problem. Sometimes, just uninstalling and installing the application worked or even .Net Framework 2.0 worked (lucky that time!)

So as you can see, there is no exact solution for this problem. You will have to spend some energy on that machine (I would start with a complete uninstall of all .Net applications and the Framework).

Also, let me warn you that in some cases all this may not help

Hope this helps

Regards

Vineed
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:26 AM