Why develop in C#Builder? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1617965708 posted
    We'are planning to develop web sites in the near future. We have chosen for the .NET platform. Within the company a lot of people have experience with C#Builder but have no experience in web development. I have experience with ASP and VB and have explored ASP.NET in the last months/weeks. I did all my "tests" in VB as this is my preferred language when it comes to knowledge. We now internally have the discussion which language we should use for our development: - VB - Microsoft C# - or... Borland C#Builder I don't have any against using Borland products, I have used Borland Delphi several years myself but I always had the feeling of some kind of "lock-in" into Borland. Can anyone give good arguments in favor or againt using Borland development tools? How do you decide whether to use C# or VB? Any help that could help in bringing up arguments for one particular language (I don't want to mix languages in our development as this brings more complexity into our team) would be highly appreciated! Thanks Gunther
    Tuesday, December 9, 2003 4:14 PM

All replies

• User133347627 posted
    C# resembles Java so your skills will quickly allow you to learn Java. C# is more OO (in my opinion) than VB. VB still concentrates on easy of use and RAD and offers a few things not found in C# (I'm not sure if is a good thing, like automatic type casting and the such) where as C# is more "elegant" and strict. You use Borland C# if you don't have another alternative, otherwise VS is the king of kings...
    Tuesday, December 16, 2003 10:48 PM
  • User-1087604911 posted
    Any help that could help in bringing up arguments for one particular language (I don't want to mix languages in our development as this brings more complexity into our team) would be highly appreciated! > I have been posting on this for three years now see Its the Runtime Stupid. Languages just don't matter in the world of the CLR. Its all about the runtime baby. 90% of all code you will write in .NET, whether it be C#, VB.NET or MC++, will be for the Framwork Libraries (BCL) and the learning curve in .NET is always the runtime + libraries and *not* the languages. The langauges exist purely to express the semantics of the CLR/CTS and access the BCL. Nothing more, nothing less. In terms of language debates, they have been happening for 3 years now and they are all boring. Pick the language you are most comfortable with of its syntax because thats all it comes down to these days. As to IDEs I didn't see anything in C# Builder that would make me want to switch but I am building with NAnt and using NUnit a lot these days anyhow.
    Monday, December 22, 2003 8:42 AM