where is the Windows 8.1 Application file that I can send to other users?

Question

• Hi,

I wrote a simple Windows Store Application program in C# .NET 2013.  My OS is Windows 8.1.

I've run the application on the development computer with the Debugger, and it works well.

How do I send this program now to another computer, to install it there?  I would like to run this application on Windows 7 computers as well as Windows 8.1 computers.

Thanks,

Arvi

• Moved by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:26 AM Store app
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:23 PM

Answers

• You cannot run a Windows Store app on Windows 7. They require Windows 8 or 8.1, depending on the specific app (probably 8.1 if you created it with VS 2013).

See Install and test an app on other devices for how to bring the app to another computer to test.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:32 AM
    Owner
  • See Install and test an app on other devices for how to bring the app to another computer to test. That will include the steps needed both to generate and to install the appx package.

Note that this is only for testing purposes and is not designed for production use. For that you'd need to install your app through the Windows Store of use enterprise side-loading. For the latter see the links in the install documentation I linked, although it probably doesn't apply to you.

--Rob

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:47 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Arvi,

I have moved this thread to Windows Store App forum for better response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Franklin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi Arvi12345,

Take a look at the documention: Create an app package

Unlike normal desktop application, a exe file can be copied to run in another machine, you have to package the app and then install the package in another device.

For more related stuff:

Packaging your Store app by using Visual Studio                           

Install and test an app on other devices              

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• You cannot run a Windows Store app on Windows 7. They require Windows 8 or 8.1, depending on the specific app (probably 8.1 if you created it with VS 2013).

See Install and test an app on other devices for how to bring the app to another computer to test.

Owner
  • Hi James,  Thanks for the links, I will review them.  I guess my most immediate, simple question is:  now that I have built my app and it works well, can I put a link or icon on my desktop (same Win 8.1 computer that I used for development), click on the icon and run the app (without running MSVS 2013 at all)?  If so, how do I do that?  Thanks, Arvi

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi Anvi,

In Windows Store App you cant create a short cut on desktop as we do for normal windows app but you can create a short cut on start screen or you can pin your app on taskbar from where you can directly start the app.

For installing App, you need to create a package file(same as Installer for windows app). Just right click on your project in solution explorer -> Select Store -> Select Create App Package.....then follow the wizard. This will create app package for your app.

Now search for "Add-AppDevPackage.ps1" in app package created and right click and select "Run with PowerShell". By doing so, your app will be installed on your machine and will be available under "Apps" or on Start Screen.

Regards, Rahul Jaiswal

Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Thank you Rahul.  That worked for me.

My question now is how do I send this application to my friends using Windows 8.1, so that they can run it on their computers?  What file do I send, and how do they install it?

Arvi
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:21 PM
  • See Install and test an app on other devices for how to bring the app to another computer to test. That will include the steps needed both to generate and to install the appx package.

Note that this is only for testing purposes and is not designed for production use. For that you'd need to install your app through the Windows Store of use enterprise side-loading. For the latter see the links in the install documentation I linked, although it probably doesn't apply to you.

--Rob

Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:47 PM
    Owner
  • Just share the App package you created and tell them to install using power shell.
    As mentioned by Rob, this way of installation is for testing purpose only.

Regards, Rahul Jaiswal

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:01 AM