none
Need Basic Help with Expression Web 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Can somebody help me. I just started using Expression Web 3 for the first time to create a web site for a photography club I belong to. I am not a coder, though I can write basic HTML. But creating CSS and div containers or whatever is beyond me. I am, however, comfortable, cuting, pasting, and editing code snippets. I usually work in a GUI site builder and end tweaking the actual code in some cases.

So I started my site, using one of the Personal templates in WebEx. The template has a vertical navigation container on the left and a single-column content container on the right. Everything is fine until I add more than about 30 lines in the content container. When I do this and then look at the site in a browser, when I get to the suspect page, the nav menu and the content jump about a quarter inch to the left. Everything looks fine in WebEx, but the browser shows the problem.

Any ideas what's causing this? Could it be the length of the Nav container? Is that even a logical question? Should I dump the templates and just build the site from scratch with tables?

Help would be greatly appreciated as I am going bonkers.

Thanks,

mark

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:52 PM

Answers

• First, you should, as you would see if you had read the BEFORE POSTING post, publish to some location, then link here, sites/pages that have display issues.

However, whenever someone mentions sites jumping slightly sideways when different - longer - pages are called for, I think:  Scrollbar space.  If the browser needs the vertical scroll bar, it will put it there.  If not, not. The scrollbar takes up space.  (You can demand that it is always there, using CSS.)

Of course, this is just a random guess on my part.  You wouldn't get guesses if you post a link to the page, you'd get answers. :)

• Marked as answer by SirMHB Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:26 AM

All replies

• Spend a little time with the Before Posting study and its resources. Pay particular attention to the advice to post a url to the problem page. Nobody con help without seeing to page, all assonated css and image files.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:17 AM
  • First, you should, as you would see if you had read the BEFORE POSTING post, publish to some location, then link here, sites/pages that have display issues.

However, whenever someone mentions sites jumping slightly sideways when different - longer - pages are called for, I think:  Scrollbar space.  If the browser needs the vertical scroll bar, it will put it there.  If not, not. The scrollbar takes up space.  (You can demand that it is always there, using CSS.)

Of course, this is just a random guess on my part.  You wouldn't get guesses if you post a link to the page, you'd get answers. :)

• Marked as answer by SirMHB Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Thanks guys. I would have posted a link if I had anyplace accessible but I only have the site running on my box at home. Though inadequate, I hoped my description would be sufficient. And I do believe you nailed it, kathy, and boy do I feel extra dumb now. God knows how I'm ever going to figure out how to edit and put the code snippets for a third-party slide-show viewer on my site.

But thank you very much.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Kathy,

Me again. How exactly does one demand that the scroll bar is always there using CSS with WebEx 3? Do I edit one of the CSS files that comes with the template I'm using? I've looked at them all but nothing is jumping out at me.

Thanks, mark

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Go through the Before Posting resources - in particular, go through the CSS tutorials on w3schools.

Then try applying overflow:scroll to your body style.

(Until you follow the advice in the Before Posting post about publishing your page, I can't be more specific.)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:08 PM