Copy PPS content from Producton SharePoint to Stage RRS feed

• Question

• We just built a second SharePoint 2010 server for our stage environment. Our Production environment has over 100 PPS objects: dashboards, filters, reports & data sources. Is there a relatively painless way I can copy the content from one server to another?

I have tried opening a PPS object from Prod in PPS Dashboard Designer and then changing the server connection string for the workspace to Stage so I could publish it. All that does is remove the object from the workspace.

Any help or siggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to have to re-create all this from scratch:(

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• Proposed as answer by Alan Whitehouse Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, June 2, 2011 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Few things to check:

1.  Make sure when you save your workspace that the items are actually in your workspace and not just on the server.  Basically open Dashboard Designer and click on each item on the server that you want to move and they should be added to your workspace.  I find it quicker to start with Dashboards and the items that get added cascade down.  Items show in the Server tab are not in your Workspace.

2.  Make sure you save your workspace with the items in it.  I find it best do a File -> Save Workspace As to make sure I get everything.   Just clicking the save button at the top tends to just save changes to objects and not save your workspace.

3.  Start Dashboard Designer on the new server and click "Import Items"

4.  On the first screen that pops up make sure your destination mappings ("copy to") are correct.  If you don't do anything here, I think it just copies all your stuff to the same directory it was in.

5. Run through the wizard and it should work.

Dan's blog post (link above) pretty much details everything  you need.  I am guessing your problem lies that you really don't have anything saved in your workspace file. 

Alan

My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com and My Tweets @ http://www.twitter.com/alanwhitehouse
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:59 PM
  • I tried this, but I get "there are no items to export from this workspace". But if I were to open the workspace from Production, everything is there....
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Few things to check:

1.  Make sure when you save your workspace that the items are actually in your workspace and not just on the server.  Basically open Dashboard Designer and click on each item on the server that you want to move and they should be added to your workspace.  I find it quicker to start with Dashboards and the items that get added cascade down.  Items show in the Server tab are not in your Workspace.

2.  Make sure you save your workspace with the items in it.  I find it best do a File -> Save Workspace As to make sure I get everything.   Just clicking the save button at the top tends to just save changes to objects and not save your workspace.

3.  Start Dashboard Designer on the new server and click "Import Items"

4.  On the first screen that pops up make sure your destination mappings ("copy to") are correct.  If you don't do anything here, I think it just copies all your stuff to the same directory it was in.

5. Run through the wizard and it should work.

Dan's blog post (link above) pretty much details everything  you need.  I am guessing your problem lies that you really don't have anything saved in your workspace file. 

Alan

My Ramblings @ http://alanwhitehouse.wordpress.com and My Tweets @ http://www.twitter.com/alanwhitehouse
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:27 PM