none
Formated Text from SQL Database not shown correctly VS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have text saved as NVar in a sql 2000 Database this text is formated(new lines, breaks) which is shown when displayed in the application in a textbox or in the old CR Reporting solution.

Now in VS2010 RDLC the text wont be formated in any way when put into a text box, is there anything that could bring me back the formatting that works in other ways.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is there anything i can do? I have complete controll over the whole project, from ui to database, so if there is a sollution i should be able to apply it.

This is the last problem i have to solve to be able to finsih the project. So if anybody has an idea please come forward.

As a question:
    What is the carrige return for RDLC in VS 2010?

Monday, July 5, 2010 8:33 AM
  • I still have the problem but i investigated it more to find a solution.

i used this code:

For Each ch As Char In str
     Debug.WriteLine(Convert.ToInt32(ch).ToString(), ch)
    Next 

To check what in the text that does the new lines. It shows that the breaks/new lines are done with Chr(13) and Chr(10). They work in every other way of displaying the text, be it a textbox a messagebox or even when inspecting the varriables during debuging i see the linebreaks and carriage returns. I tried replacing the chr(13) with vbclrf or inserting it instead of them but it wont show on the report.

Thanks to everyone who can help in adavance.

Edit: One of my guesses is that is has something to do with the Language of the application which is german.

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:48 PM
  • =Replace(First(Fields!YourField.Value, "DataSource"),CHR(10),VbCrLf) 

=Replace(First(Fields!YourField.Value, "DataSource"),CHR(13),VbCrLf)

This fixed it for me. Found here
    http://geekswithblogs.net/microsoftian/archive/2009/04/15/adding-carriage-return-functionality-to-textbox-in-ssrs-2005.aspx

Seems to be a bug from 2005. 

• Marked as answer by max_L Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:22 PM
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:22 PM