none
How to check if board and proc enabled for Hyper - V RRS feed

• Question

• i have tried to run windows server 2008 (full Inst) on a tyan board S5396, everything ok installation of os / add role hyper V also ok,
    but then no luck to install a guest OS always stop on the last steps of installation process with unexcpected error.

I tested the intel vt if enabled (Intel Processor Identification Utility ver. 3.9 (one: for windows / the other with boot option)) results in:
    windos: em64t is shown /  DEP is shown / virtualization NOT
    boot:  em64t is shown / DEP is shown / virtualization YES !!!  (the tools does not recognize if something is changed in the bios, also shows YES for VT when disabled!)

now my question how can i check where the failure is Board/Proc combination or Operating System

thanx for response

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:27 AM

Answers

• i think the problem is solved:

Regarding the question why "after installing the hyper v role the intel VT information has gone...", well, this is the normal behavior. The reason is that after installing the Hyper-V role, the Root OS (or the parent partition) which holds the Hyper-V role is also seen as a virtual machine. Hardware virtualization is not provided by this virtual environment, so the tool cannot detect the hardware requirements.
    (response from Microsoft Technet Forum)

Monday, October 6, 2008 12:22 PM

All replies

• i tested today a lot more, first installed test with tool
    Intel Processor Identification Utility 3.9   and
    CPU-Z 1.47

bios enabled , Virtualization and VT-d also NX Memory Protection

vista ultimate 64 bit
    with both tools VT, XD, EM64T available

then same test with windows server 2008 (full)
    with both tools VT, XD, EM64T available

now interessting after update on windows server all keeps same
    BUT after install of the hyper v role
    VT dissapeared.... only XD, EM64T stayed

had somebody the same expierience ? is this a bug ?

thnx  for response
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 7:26 PM
  • i think the problem is solved:

Regarding the question why "after installing the hyper v role the intel VT information has gone...", well, this is the normal behavior. The reason is that after installing the Hyper-V role, the Root OS (or the parent partition) which holds the Hyper-V role is also seen as a virtual machine. Hardware virtualization is not provided by this virtual environment, so the tool cannot detect the hardware requirements.
    (response from Microsoft Technet Forum)

Monday, October 6, 2008 12:22 PM