none
Small Basic program working on web- don't want users to access source RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. When using Silverlight to view Small Basic programs on the web (html page), users can always view the html source and then get a Small Basic program listing.

What is the best way to have users view a program (working) but not be able to view the source code?

Maybe Visual Studio? Seems a sledgehammer workaround?

• Edited by AlanGraceNZ Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:19 PM
    Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Maybe just give program.exe and required dlls (SmallBasicLibarary.dll + any extensions dlls). You could bundle these in a zip.  Of course anyone could actually decompile these to original source using ILSpy or other.Net decompiler.

I guess you also just do a youtube vid to see the code working without showing the souce code.

However the point of Small Basic is to learn to write code, and a big part of this is sharing code.  So hiding your code isn't realy the point.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe just give program.exe and required dlls (SmallBasicLibarary.dll + any extensions dlls). You could bundle these in a zip.  Of course anyone could actually decompile these to original source using ILSpy or other.Net decompiler.

I guess you also just do a youtube vid to see the code working without showing the souce code.

However the point of Small Basic is to learn to write code, and a big part of this is sharing code.  So hiding your code isn't realy the point.

Saturday, August 17, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Thank you for your quick reply.

My webhost won't allow .exe files to be hosted or have links to .exe files included in web pages.

When distributing using zip files I was aware I would need to include the required DLL.

I would like to be able to embed in a web page (similar to when using Silverlight) but without the facility to be able to view the source code.

For me hiding the code (or making it difficult to see the code) really is the point.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I was not aware of ILSpy or other.Net decompilers. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Did you host on your website via the embed code from the Gallery? 

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:42 PM
    Owner