none
windows embedded for old hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning.

I write to pose a question about the possibility to install an embedded version of Windows OSes on old PCs.

As you know, Windows 10 is today installed on tablets that have not an high performant hardware more than a PC buyed 6 or 7 years ago.

So the question. Can you tell me if is there an embedded version of Windows 10, or maybe a Windows OS embedded version ?

I'd like to intall it on old PCs of my school lab where actually is installed Windows XP Service pack 3.

I hope to hear you soon.

Best Regards.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:28 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, the older Windows Embedded operating systems (XP Embedded, WES7) are EOL or nearing the EOL date. I wouldn't recommend going with these. Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry has a few years of life left, but the performance will be that of Windows 10 on these older systems. Please keep in mind the Windows Embedded / IoT OSes are licensed for single purpose machines and not general purpose computers. There was talk of a cut down version of Windows being made available for older hardware, but I think this program was scrubbed because of the support costs and security concerns.

For old hardware, I would recommend going with Linux, specifically Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint. If all you need is office apps and surfing the internet, these Linux distros should do just fine. If you have to run specific PC applications, you could look into WINE or CrossOver Linux.

Others may have different ideas....

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, January 25, 2019 2:09 AM