none
.NET 5 and what will it support. RRS feed

• Question

• With all this talk about .NET 5 got me worrying about what the future holds for MVC, WebForms, WPF, WinForms, Razor, Blazor etc.

I have been working for a couple of years with WinForms, and they seem pretty easy to develop with (all things considered), and i am now currently looking into other methods of creating a more fast, reliable and advanced websites with c# .NET core or .NET framework, and i stumbled upon .NET core, MVC, razor and blazor, i want to know before i start diving into these because i don't want to learn something that wont have support in the future.

Will all of these be left in the past? Or will .NET continue the support until they develop something better and then cut the cord on these? What will happen to blazor and razor because they look promising in development and increasing the use of WebAssembly?

Please be as specific as you can.
    thank you for your time.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:35 AM

All replies

• They just decided it's time to port all the remaining parts of .NET Framework including WinForm and VB.NET support to .NET Core, so they no longer need to maintain 2 versions of runtime with slightly different way of doing things.

For details of what they plan to do please read their introduction (and be sure to also read the comments), also the MSDN Magazine article on this topic.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:42 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi jimmy0205, 

Thank you for posting here.

.NET 5 will support all major desktop development libraries and functionalities, including Windows Forms, WPF, UWP and Xamarin. But the future of WPF and WinForms is limited. There is no new innovation or new versions coming out in WinForms or WPF. May be some fixes. Even UWP has not done much when it comes to commercial software. Limited work will always be there.

ASP.NET Web Forms will not be coming to .NET 5 and Microsoft is currently recommending to move to Blazor which was an experimental project that got promoted to official recently. The other alternative choices are Angular, React, and Vue SPA frameworks if you are good at JavaScript.

You can refer to the following references about Blazor and MVC.

Why Blazor, via WebAssembly, is the future

I'm lost. What happened to ASP.NET MVC 5?

Besides, If you have more questions about MVC ,Blazor and Razor, I suggest you ask the question in ASP.NET forums for better help.

Hope them can help you.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:09 AM