Migrating SSRS Reports from 2005 to 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I need a help in migrating SSRS Reports from 2005 to 2012 and migrated reports should be working in SQL Server 2012 Report Server as well.

Thanks

Bhanu

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:08 AM

Answers

• We installed a new SSRS 2012 Server., now that I copied old SSRS solutuon to the  new path m and juts open in the new SSDT on SQL Server 2012. After testing we republish to the new server and it just worked fine.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:53 AM
  • Hi Bhanu, 

There are few ways to migrate your reports from one server to another server or one version to another version.

in either case first you need to build your target environment first. in your case install the SQL 2012 SSRS and configure the report server configuration manager.

at this stage make sure your site links/urls are working. and now plan how you would like to migrate.

Did you have lots of reports to migrate ?

in this case "Uri Dimant" above solution is best suitable. it saves your time and you can migrate with less effort using your skill.

Did you have only hand full of reports?

you can down load your reports from your 2008 SSRS and copy across to the new server and upload to 2012 SSRS. and you need to re create the data sources in 2012 ssrs similar to your 2008 ssrs.

good luck

kumar

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello Bhanu,

See MSDN Upgrade Reports

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:29 AM
  • We installed a new SSRS 2012 Server., now that I copied old SSRS solutuon to the  new path m and juts open in the new SSDT on SQL Server 2012. After testing we republish to the new server and it just worked fine.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:53 AM
  • After migrating your report server databases you can use Report server configuration manager to attach the db to your report server instance.

see full steps here

https://chayadigital.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/how-to-migrate-reporting-services-from-sql-server-2005-to-sql-server-2012/

If you want to upgrade the rdls themselves to 2012 version, you need to create a new report server project in SSDT and open the rdls inside them 

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:07 AM
  • Hi Bhanu Garikipati

If you want to migrate SSRS report from 2005 to 2012, you could do from these 2 ways.
    1  migrate your report server database from SQL server 2005 to 2012 . See more at : Upgrade a Report Server Database

2 migrate your report from SSRS 2005 to 2012 . See more at : Upgrade Reports

Hope it can help you.
    Best Regards,
    Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:34 AM
  • Hi Bhanu, 

There are few ways to migrate your reports from one server to another server or one version to another version.

in either case first you need to build your target environment first. in your case install the SQL 2012 SSRS and configure the report server configuration manager.

at this stage make sure your site links/urls are working. and now plan how you would like to migrate.

Did you have lots of reports to migrate ?

in this case "Uri Dimant" above solution is best suitable. it saves your time and you can migrate with less effort using your skill.

Did you have only hand full of reports?

you can down load your reports from your 2008 SSRS and copy across to the new server and upload to 2012 SSRS. and you need to re create the data sources in 2012 ssrs similar to your 2008 ssrs.

good luck

kumar

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:49 AM