none
GAC, Project reference & Serviced Component Conflict RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a website site and a class library(BookCars) attached to it as a project reference.. The aspx pages are calling functions inside class library..

The same class library I've deployed to GAC and also to the component services as a Serviced Component.

In this case, From were the aspx pages are going to use(referece) the DLL? GAC or DLL in the bin folder of the website or Component Services ?

I was expecting it from GAC, but **after publishing the DLL to GAC and Component services, I added a 'Extra' parameter to my function in a Class Lib . For example see below,

BookCars.StoreInfo(ByVal CarID as String, ByVal ID as String, Optional ByRef SName as String="") as DataSet

the version in GAC

BookCars.StoreInfo(ByVal CarID as String, ByVal ID as String) 

-------

I published my website and when I access my aspx page, I am getting an error,

Method not found: 'System.Data.DataSet BookCars.StoreInfo(System.String, System.String, System.String ByRef)

Can anybody explain why is that? and how to make my webpage access it from GAC.

Thanks

Seshu
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:12 PM

Answers

• You ought to post at forums.asp.net, ASP.NET tends to have its own rules.  But if it is similar to the default CLR host, the GAC is always first.  You'll have to update the version number and register your updated assembly in the GAC as well.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Friday, November 7, 2008 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:51 AM

All replies

•  
    Anybody?
    Seshu
    Monday, November 3, 2008 2:29 PM
  • Why do you try to call the StoreInfo method with 3 arguments whereas you mention that the version in the GAC takes only two ? 

If you have a local copy of your library, then this library will be invoked first. Take also care of the version of the library you are referencing to because the GAC can hold several versions of the same assembly.

Monday, November 3, 2008 3:13 PM
  • You ought to post at forums.asp.net, ASP.NET tends to have its own rules.  But if it is similar to the default CLR host, the GAC is always first.  You'll have to update the version number and register your updated assembly in the GAC as well.
    Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Friday, November 7, 2008 11:52 AM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:51 AM