none
Visual Studio 2015 crashes when there is a conflict in a defined class members

Question

• Hello together,

I've recently faced an issue with the Visual Studio 2015 with my VB forms. I'm explaining that in this post. I just want to know if there is any fix or is it considered for the tool development.

For example, consider a following class.

Public Class Student
      Public Property Name as String
      Public Property dob as String
    End Class

If I add another property to get the Date of birth as a Date type, like below;

Public ReadOnly Property Get_DoB as Date
         Get
            Return /* Date */
         End Get
      End Property

It is throwing error stating, There is a conflict with the class members as property 'dob' implicitly declares 'get_dob'.

But if I tried to define a function which returns a Date, like below;

Public Function Get_DoB() as Date
      Return /* Date */
    End Function

As soon as I typed 'B' in the function name Get_DoB, Visual studio crashes.

Also, if I typed the code somewhere else and pasted it in the class, it crashes!

After a long time, I understood I'm making mistake for defining a new member with the same name. But, Instead of throwing errors or warnings, the VS closes.

Will this be corrected or considered in the next release?

Regards,

Azetech

Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Azetech,

Please create a new project and then add the posted code in your original post to check whether this problem related to Visual Studio itself or the specific project.

If the new project works fine, please remove the .suo file in solution folder and then clean your solution to rebuild it. If problem still exist, please move the original project files to the new project one by one to confirm which files causes this issue.

If the new project also has this issue, do you have try run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command? If not, please try it. It can help us check whether this issue caused by third part packages and extensions for your Visual Studio.

Then please close all third part software when running Visual Studio, which can exclude the effect from these third part program.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there has no ActiveLog.xml, please turn on the /Log switch and then re-operate again to let the log file collect the operation information.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:05 AM

All replies

• No other workaround like re-installing the VS or running in admin mode or other stuffs worked!
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Hi Azetech,

Please create a new project and then add the posted code in your original post to check whether this problem related to Visual Studio itself or the specific project.

If the new project works fine, please remove the .suo file in solution folder and then clean your solution to rebuild it. If problem still exist, please move the original project files to the new project one by one to confirm which files causes this issue.

If the new project also has this issue, do you have try run Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command? If not, please try it. It can help us check whether this issue caused by third part packages and extensions for your Visual Studio.

Then please close all third part software when running Visual Studio, which can exclude the effect from these third part program.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there has no ActiveLog.xml, please turn on the /Log switch and then re-operate again to let the log file collect the operation information.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:05 AM