none
Last Modified Date on Server Shows as Date Uploaded RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the trial version of EW 4. Many years ago I used Front Page with FP Extensions. My site doesn't use them anymore but I had always used FrontPage publishing in EW. In EW 4 I switched to FTP publishing and now all my files appear as changed or unmatched. I hope completely republished the site several times, both ways (i.e. local to server and server to local). I have checked my system clock and it is correct. I did a search of this forum for similar problems and noted many posts but no solutions. Can anyone provide some help here?

Joe....

Friday, April 29, 2011 1:44 PM

All replies

• As of yet there is not a solution for this issue.

That I am aware of anyway.

Expression Web MVP
    Friday, April 29, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to shoot the messenger, but this seems like a fundamental and most important feature for EW. If EW can't keep track of which files have changed and which ones haven't it seems like it is failing at its most basic task. Do you know if Microsoft is addressing this with some priority and hopefully not waiting for a new release to fix it?

Joe....

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:18 PM
  • It's been addressed many times. And it works - for some, on some hosts, on some sites.  And not, for others.

See the " ... Start Here" post for how to get feedback to Microsoft if you want to try providing complete details of the circumstances of things not working.

(I am assuming, by the way, that you have metadata enabled, and have already tried the "take three aspirins" approach: FPCleaner to clear out everything, re-build metadata, publish everything one more time and...  see if it holds.)

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:28 PM
  • I do not know if it will help, but I have the same issue. For the last few years Expression web would always show the Last Modified Date on an upload. Until recently, then it started to show the Date/Time uploaded. No explanation and like you, no one seems to have an answer. I went 1 step further and tried the following to see if it was a server issue or if it was expression web.

I uploaded a few test files using FileZilla. It did the same thing (at first). Then I found a setting called "Preserve Timestamp of Transferred Files" on the transfer menu and up-loaded test files again. This time, they showed the "Last Modified Date".

Next I opened Expression Web and found that it now showed the "Last Modified Date" on the server side for those test files. However, when I used Expression web to upload the files again, the date changed back to the Date/Time of upload.

Ok, logically, FileZilla must have changed something in the file or on the server. Since it is unlikely that it changed the server, I think it must have changed the file. I posed the question on the FileZilla forum and hopefully will get an answer.

I tried 1 more thing. Using Expression web, I downloaded the files with the correct Last Modified Date and then uploaded them again and the dates changed to the upload time, so I am 100% convinced that the issue is with Expression web.

• Edited by tracit123 Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:21 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 3:58 PM