MOving to WinForms RRS feed

• Question

• User133363877 posted

Hi,

I have to rwrite an application that really needs a full windows application (smart Client) anyone got a good starter for transitioning from ASP .NET to WinForms? Is it all the same?

Thanks

Alan

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:07 AM

All replies

• User743145481 posted

Is it all the same?

No, it's not the same because ASP.NET in a sense is stateless.  Once you send the user the page, they can do just about anything and everything to the page/form without any interaction with your server until they decide to resubmit it (or not).

In WinForms, you can control just about everything, and you will have to control states of forms as well as probably create either a big, normal form, or an MDI environment.

Most of the non-form related code will be the same though.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:23 PM
  • User388644752 posted

Hi,

Windows and web forms have differenct in strucutre.

In the web forms you can do in the two ways. On the client side and on the server side. Like you can do validation on textboxes in the client side. The most of client side work is done in JavaScript but there are other languages too like VBScript. On the server side you can get the database transactions and other like works. In server side work the PostBack is the main thing. In the web these two are the basic modes. Let see it from architecture that web is stateless. It process the page and forgets what it has done on the previous. In the control side customization is little bit easy and difficult on the most of the controls.

In the windows forms there is no mode. Your working machine is your server and you can do anything in your application. It is not stateless. It remembers all the information what it done in the previous. According to the customization in the windows forms customization of controls are easy but in the case of datagrid it is difficult than web. I hope u will get the information about difference but for any further query you can message me.

Kind Regards:

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:31 AM