Help Requried in Power pivot Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a power pivot having data loaded previously from cube(which means an analytics server). I want to change the connection of this power pivot to a data base connection which is OLEDB (Data base server).

I see that it could be only possible to change among analytics servers or data base servers, but not between analytics and data base server.

Could any one help out here to get this connection changed. I dont want to delete the connection and down load again from power pivot  because I have so many dependent sheets on it where deleting it would make a creepy report.

Any suggestions please!!

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:14 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but you can not modify the data provider of an existing connection in Power Pivot.

And as Darren already wrote in your other thread you can not measure / dimensions names in a query, as you can in SQL with an alias.

in Power Pivot you can modify the exiting MDX query, but on first PP will use the new names of the query. Later you can modify the names used in PP.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, February 22, 2016 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:12 AM

All replies

• but not between analytics and data base server.

Hello,

It's not clear for me want you want to change? If you once selected "Analysis Services" as data source then you can modify the server/database name later, but you can not change the connection type from SSAS to e.g. relational SQL Server.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:33 AM
  • I want to modify from SSAS to Relational SQL Server .I do know I cannot do it directly tough. Is there any other way of doing it.

As I said the concern here is, the entire report is based on that view.

If that is not possible at least I need to be able to modify MDX query from new analytics cube so as to have it mapping to old names of MDX cube.

I have added this issue as one more question and below is the link.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/e81d78de-de16-40a7-85e4-2d140dd5088d/renaming-column-names-in-an-mdx-query?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

Would be glad if you could assist me on it 

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Sorry, but you can not modify the data provider of an existing connection in Power Pivot.

And as Darren already wrote in your other thread you can not measure / dimensions names in a query, as you can in SQL with an alias.

in Power Pivot you can modify the exiting MDX query, but on first PP will use the new names of the query. Later you can modify the names used in PP.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, February 4, 2016 1:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, February 22, 2016 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:12 AM