Default Column not showing in Search Results RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to customize the display of my Search Results.  Nothing fancy, I just want it to display the Title for a document.  I don't know what Search shows by default, something it pulls out of the doc itself, I think, but I need it to show what is entered in the Title Column that's available when you upload a document.  I looked in CA and there is a Managed Property named Title which is mapped to multiple Crawled Properties. 

When referencing this in my XSL do I reference by Managed Property or Crawled Property?  e.g. (MP) Title or (CP) ows_Title

I am asking because it is not working.  When I try changing my XSL to use Title it doesn't change anything.  To troubleshoot this I have my results just dumping the XML.  Below is an excerpt.  What I don't understand is the "title" column.  I can't find reference to a lower case "title" column anywhere else and the value it is showing there is different then the value that is in the upper case "Title" column.

What am I missing?

<All_Results>
      <Result>
       <id>1</id>
       <workid>1383</workid>
       <rank>74580242</rank>
       <title>Western Wisconsin Cares User Access Request Form</title>
       <author_multival>Wwcares\Nweinber</author_multival>
       <author_multival>McDonald</author_multival>
       <author>Wwcares\Nweinber;McDonald</author>
       <size>30655</size>
       <url>http://wwcshare/icenter/it/Documents/New.Change.User.docx</url>
       <urlEncoded>http%3A%2F%2Fwwcshare%2Ficenter%2Fit%2FDocuments%2FNew%2EChange%2EUser%2Edocx</urlEncoded>
       <description>0806</description>
       <write>10/7/2010</write>
       <sitename>http://wwcshare/icenter/it/Documents</sitename>
       <collapsingstatus>1</collapsingstatus>
       <hithighlightedsummary>Date of <c0>request</c0>: <ddd /> Required for new user <c0>access</c0>, <ddd /> Remote <c0>access</c0> needed (Can work from home network) <ddd /> Connect <c0>Access</c0> Role  <ddd /> <c0>Access</c0> <c0>Request</c0> Form for new or relocating users</hithighlightedsummary>
       <hithighlightedproperties>
        <HHTitle>Western Wisconsin Cares User <c0>Access</c0> <c0>Request</c0> Form</HHTitle>
        <HHUrl>http://wwcshare/icenter/it/Documents/New.Change.User.docx</HHUrl>
       </hithighlightedproperties>
       <contentclass>STS_ListItem_DocumentLibrary</contentclass>
       <isdocument>True</isdocument>
       <picturethumbnailurl></picturethumbnailurl>
       <serverredirectedurl></serverredirectedurl>
       <fileextension>DOCX</fileextension>
       <ows_metadatafacetinfo></ows_metadatafacetinfo>
       <popularsocialtags />
       <imageurl imageurldescription="Microsoft Word">/_layouts/images/icdocx.png</imageurl>
      </Result>

Thank you,

Monday, February 7, 2011 6:58 PM

Answers

• You must use the Managed Property name "Title" . This is already there in the out of the box xslt. What you maybe seeing is a bug with office 2007 files specifically Word. The crawler is pulling a value out of the document for the title and not the Title SharePoint property you see when you edit the properties of the document in the SharePoint UI.
    Blog | SharePoint Field Notes Dev Tool | ClassMaster
    • Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Friday, February 18, 2011 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:01 AM

All replies

• You must use the Managed Property name "Title" . This is already there in the out of the box xslt. What you maybe seeing is a bug with office 2007 files specifically Word. The crawler is pulling a value out of the document for the title and not the Title SharePoint property you see when you edit the properties of the document in the SharePoint UI.
    • Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Friday, February 18, 2011 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Thank you, that is what I had assumed as well.  I did not know about such a bug but that would definitely fit what I am seeing.  Are there solutions or workarounds?
    Thank you,
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Not that I know of. It may be fixed in SP1 which is in beta at this time.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:28 PM