none
Windows 8 Professional - and other Win 8 MSDN/TN Subscriptions Questions

All replies

• Dear Mike,

Are you referring about the Windows 8 Pro VL and Windows 8 Pro Editions.

and Can you tell me what is the difference the Regular Windows 8 and Windows 8 DVD (English-United Kingdon).

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Pratha,

Yes I am referring to that.

Regarding UK english, I didn't know until I did a websearch Pratha:  http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224471/UK_gets_its_own_version_of_English_in_Windows_8 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:19 PM
    Owner
  • Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply - I am bit surprised to see UK Edition which is obviously good for Indian users :) Microsoft made it very simple with minimum no. of (3 editions).

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Mike,

Can you tell me how to check the No. of available activations for Windows 8 Enterprise MAK key as i can't check it using the VAMT 2.0 and VAMT 3 not recognizing the product key.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:40 PM
  • You need the latest version of VAMT included in Windows Assessment & Deployment Kit: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652

For me it's telling me 20 activations is the limit.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:21 AM
  • Hey Brad,

Every subscription has access to Windows 8 Pro, its just that given the nature of Windows 8, its a bit hard to find on our site.  One of the Editions of Windows 8 is just called "Windows 8" and so for this reason its hard to distinguish between the edition and the version of Windows 8.

Excluding languages and architectures (x86 vs x64), there are essentially 3 Windows 8 ISOs available.  They are called, on our site:

1. "Windows 8"
    2. "Windows 8 Pro VL"
    3. "Windows 8 Enterprise"

As i stated above in the first post, the download titled "Windows 8" contains two editions:  "Windows 8" and "Windows 8 Pro"

Now, because the search on our site works on the name of the ISO, when you search for "Windows 8 Pro" you only find #2 above, which you probably dont have access to because its for Volume Licensing Subscriptions only.

To get Windows 8 Pro Retail, you need to download the file titled "Windows 8" and then use the Windows 8 Pro product key, which you will see when you click "product keys" as I show in my screenshot above.  

Brad, if you're still blocked, hit me up by clicking "site feedback" at the bottom of http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions and I'll look into it.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:00 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mike,

Shoot, I was just too bleary-eyed to understand that your original post answered my question plain & simple! Sorry for making you repeat yourself & spell it out in simpler English! 

embarrassed,

brad

Brad

Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Brad no worries at all, and I get the lack of sleep factor, believe me :)  

Honestly, the fact that searching for "Windows 8 Pro" doesn't give you what you need, even though you have permissions to it is embarrassing on our end.

Although I don't think we have this as an explicit requirement in our specs, it's supposed to be simple enough that you can do it without much sleep! :)

Cheers,

Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:14 PM
    Owner
  • hi

please check the Windows 8 x86 dvd spanish iso. the msdn download is just a 400mb file. it boots but it ask for a DVD for mising drivers

thanks

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Any idea why I would only have the Pro keys available? I don't have the option for keys for Windows 8, only Windows 8 Pro.

Harby73

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Iosu,

No that file is over 2 gigabytes:

I think your download did not finish, even if your browser reported it as complete.  Please try using Internet Explorer, which will force the Akamai DLM to appear, which will ensure that the download finishes successfully.  If you have problems with the Akamai DLM, the problem is likely with proxy settings and/or your proxy authentication requirements.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:11 PM
    Owner
  • Harby,

Per the recent changes to TechNet Subscriptions, the 'consumer' targeted versions of Windows (Like Windows XP Home edition) are no longer included in TechNet Subscriptions, and this is why Windows 8 is not available even though Windows 8 Pro is.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:12 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the info Mike. So they're available with a MSDN subscription?

Harby73

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Mike, any idea when and how we can acquire Windows Media Center for Windows 8 Pro from MSDN?

Thank you very much for clarifying the Pro license key point. It took me a few minutes of poking, but I did figure it out.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:34 PM
  • So I'm definitely not an expert on the Windows 8 functions and features, so I can't speak with authority on it.  The URL I added to the OP is probably the best place to ask that question.  

That said, I've done some searching this morning to try to figure this out, and this cnet article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57445533-75/how-to-add-media-center-to-windows-8-release-preview/ implies that you follow the same steps that you did in the Win8 Release Preview.  Those steps are posted here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/faq under the question "Where is Windows Media Center?"

Have you tried these steps?

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:44 PM
    Owner
  • Mike, Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have tried the public key that was released with the Release Preview. I also tried the main key for Win 8 Pro from MSDN. Both error and say invalid key. The purchase features link says, "An error has occurred. Close the wizard and try again."

I appreciate your time.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:54 PM
  • According to Ed Bott, Media Center is not available yet...
    https://twitter.com/edbott/status/236129919929815040

Harby73

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Interesting, thanks for the check Mike.  I've talked to the team internally about this and I'll let you know if they have any additional info to share about it. 

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:03 PM
    Owner
  • Iosu,

No that file is over 2 gigabytes:

I think your download did not finish, even if your browser reported it as complete.  Please try using Internet Explorer, which will force the Akamai DLM to appear, which will ensure that the download finishes successfully.  If you have problems with the Akamai DLM, the problem is likely with proxy settings and/or your proxy authentication requirements.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Hi

I have download the English version and is 2,45 GB (2.632.460.288 bytes) as you see is over 2gb :-)

The spanish version is 434 MB (455.868.416 bytes)

I'm downloading using the Akamai DLM. I have delete the internet Explorer cache, history etc.. I always get 434 mb

I think you check it, your selft ones the Akamai DLM starts you will see the the size is 434 mb

Note:

I have also download the Win8 Enterprise (x86 and x64) all the downloads are ok, the only one that is wrong is the Spanish Retail x86

iosu

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:05 PM
  • My apologize for misunderstanding you Iosu.  i'll test it right now!

Edit: confirmed Iosu!  Sorry that it took you twice to get this message across to me.  I'm informing the team.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:11 PM
    Owner
  • My apologize for misunderstanding you Iosu.  i'll test it right now!

Edit: confirmed Iosu!  Sorry that it took you twice to get this message across to me.  I'm informing the team.

Thanks,
    Mike

Ok, great  that you where able to reproduce. Please if you can, make a post ones is fixed

Thank you

Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I believe we've got this fix Iosu.  Please confirm on your end.  

You may want to delete any older fie you have lying around, and make sure you refresh your browser if you're still seeing issues.

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:29 PM
    Owner

You may want to delete any older fie you have lying around, and make sure you refresh your browser if you're still seeing issues.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, is fixed! thank you
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:49 PM
  • It was really confusing, had to make 3 separate chat sessions from yesterday through today to get this clarified.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:11 PM

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, is fixed! thank you

HI

While downloading and after 52% I got a MD5 error message that the file was change on the server.

Now the 400mb file is back again :-(

someone has revert the fix

Iosu

iosu

Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Sorry about that Iosu, please try one more time.  I think there was a mis-communication on the team, and the problem got fixed an additional time  in the middle of your download, which must've reset everything.  I'm sorry about that!

Thanks,
    Mike

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:12 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Mike

Good day..

Have a question:
    May I know what is the difference between "Win 8 Pro VL" and  "Win 8 Pro Retail version" that is within Win 8 Iso?
    Is the feature sets the same ?

Thanks

Rgs
    Alan

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Hey Alan,

I believe they are the same feature sets, however this isn't the place for straight up questions about Windows 8, as I'm no expert on it.  I primarily cover subscriptions questions.

I would do some bing searches for Volume License key to learn more about VL and VL programs, or post that question in the forum i linked above, or over at http://answers.microsoft.com

Thanks,
    Mike

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:08 PM
    Owner
  • Super. And how are we supposed to test "bring-your-own-device" scenarios? Those devices usually don't run the Pro version of Windows, and the missing corporate features are exactly what makes the tests required in the first place. What's more, while we usually have a test machine with a fully licensed Pro version at hand, this is not the case for non-Pro versions, since they are normally not used in a managed environment.

You will forgive me if I file this in my "how Microsoft failed this time" drawer? (As a matter of fact, over the last 12 months I had to change to a larger drawer. It hasn't been a good year for MS. Let's see how this plays out in the coming months.)

Regards, AngusMac

• Edited by AngusMac Friday, August 17, 2012 2:55 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks and noted :-)

Rgs
    Alan

Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Thanks for the info Harby73. It appears we will have to wait for Media Center. I guess I will reinstall the Preview so that I have a dvr again.

Mike

Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:43 AM
  • Dear Users,

Just a headsup all ISOs are working fine and fixed. You should be able to download the ISOs through Microsoft FTM which are having filesize integrity.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Trying to upgrade W7 Ultimate x64 to W8 Pro.  License says W8 Pro.  Started upgrade booted from W7 and ran setup on W8 DVD.  Does not give me the option to keep my installed programs.  Only option is keep nothing.  ???  Thoughts?

NC Bob

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Trying to upgrade W7 Ultimate x64 to W8 Pro.  License says W8 Pro.  Started upgrade booted from W7 and ran setup on W8 DVD.  Does not give me the option to keep my installed programs.  Only option is keep nothing.  ???  Thoughts?

NC Bob

Dear NC Bob,

This section is only for MSDN Subscription and other related queries. Please do post your question in the relevant section.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Saturday, October 06, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Apparently, Windows Media Center will not be made available for Windows 8 Pro VL edition.

Check this URL for further information: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_cp-windows_programs/add-features-to-windows-8-is-missing/4aef3588-e906-44e7-b542-52dcd6537b9e?page=4&tm=1351433795107

Michael Mortensen, Application Architect

Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:22 PM
  • What is the correct section, please?

Art

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Not sure I understand your question Art.  What do you mean by section?

Thanks,

Mike

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:22 PM
    Owner
  • I ran into same problem but did get around it.  Copy all files from W8 DVD to a new folder on your PC then execute the setup.exe from the hard disk.  Worked for me.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:46 PM